1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i cancel sky before 12 month period?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by roriboy, Oct 30, 2005.

1. roriboy

roriboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How easy is it to do this? Have about six months left and to be honest can't really afford the sky+ subscription in the new place. How can i get out it? I have about one month between moving out and moving in, can i just cancel by phoning them and saying i have no new address as yet and will call them when i get one?
    Its a change of town so phone number will be changing, so would be hard to trace, i think!

Any suggestions???

thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You have a legal binding contract, try to skip out and SKY will spare no expense to drag through court and blacken your credit rating in the process and eventually get the money while you cough up court fees.

If you can give a genuine reason for not being able to honour the agreement then SKY may agree to let it lapse but alas just becasue you can't afford it isn't a good reason:)

3. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think you should just keep it on the most basic package until the contract ends, i think that is your only option. You could also try and ask them if you can pay for your next 6 months subs now and cancel it all.

4. roriboy

roriboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

5. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Dont cancel the contract and not pay, they catch up with u in the end. I did it and thought it was forgotten about when a rather stern lady phoned me one night from a debt collection agency informing me i owed them £40. After my pointless protest of innocence she informed me that sky had passed my information over to them and that i now owed them instead. To save anymore hassle with the courts i paid it a few days later, seems u cant do anythin these days without leaving a trail of bread crumbs!!!!

6. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I did the same thing, I broke my contract by 6 weeks, although after speaking to Sky they said they'd let me off...Fast forward 5 years & last week I had a letter from a debt collection agency looking for £80! It's pointless arguing with someone who couldn't careless so I paid up over the phone.

7. Iaind

Iaind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    And don't forget that <QUOTE>No one in your household will ever, ever be able to get SKY again if you cancel this contract</QUOTE>.

It also takes about 30 minutes of arguing and telling the guy on the phone that I'd moved to a block of flats that don't allow SKY ;) - which he argued against by telling me other people in those flats have SKY :eek: - I never watched any of the other channels any more, but you'll be missing out on all those films and documentaries - until eventually he relented and cancelled my contract. I've been with Freeview ever since and really haven't missed SKY at all - even the films that they show are out on DVD at more or less the same time.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    you can cancel by paying the remainder of the 12 months up front.....

you can cancel by dying.....(altho i dont recommend this...lol)

you can cancel by getting shipwrecked and landing on an unknown desert island.

thats about it...heh

if you were out of your 12 months period they might give you 3 months half price to keep you on.....but your not so they dont have to.

ya never know ;-)

9. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Something I've heard that's been done... not that I'd condone it myself of course...

Phone up & complain about an *cough* intermittent *cough* problem with your sky box (a trawl on t'internet should find some plausible faults), and of course, when they send someone to fix it, the problem doesn't materialise. Then get back on to sky the next day & complain again, more angrily this time. Repeat process a couple of times, until you are so fed up with the problem, you are forced to cancel. You could even try for a refund of payments you've made while the box has been faulty.

Depends how you balance wasting an engineers time against your conscience.

10. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    ^^^^That is such a great idea, cant belive i never thought of it myself!!! :devil: :devil:

11. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have a neighbour much in the similar situation to yourself Roriboy, couldnt afford the payment etc, genuine reason, husband left etc, I called sky and explained this to them and basically said there would be no point in chasing her as she is up to her neck in debt etc, they understood and cancelled the contract, she is also allowed back on when she sorts her finances out after xmas.

Just be straight with them times are hard etc, even if they take you to court, tell the judge you explained your plight andthey still refused.

Taz

12. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Taz69 Just be straight with them times are hard etc, even if they take you to court, tell the judge you explained your plight andthey still refused.

I couldn't agree with you more.

All you lot trying to duck and dive your way out of your contracts (that you signed) just give sky more reason to charge a fortune and bully everybody else.

13. roriboy

roriboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i did was i called them and said i had sold my house but had not bought another one yet, and i had to move back with my parents who have sky.

The outcome is i have 5 months left of my contract so i have to pay just £10 a month till my sky+ contract runs out, i think that is fair enough!

Could get sky in new house, but i'm fed up with the expense, so i would like to start as i mean to go on.

Have a good set up with sky+ at present, have the box fitted in cupboard in livingroom with hidden eye complete with lcd tv wall mounted above the fireplace, also have tv's in kitchen and bedroom that all can control the sky+ box.

Would like to buy a feeview box with a HD, can this be rigged up in a similar way? Or is it easier to buy a box with HD for livingroom and a couple of others for kitchen and bedroom?

ALL suggestions will be very much appreciated. Whats the best box with HD in your opinion?

cheers

14. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:

After reading you first quote and the top of the page and your last hereon I think you have been pulling everyones todger :lesson: people here tried to help you now your asking advice re new hardware....... cut yourself a key my friend and get out more :arty: