Question Can I calibrate a B6 with an old i1 Display 2 and HCFR?

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Dick Emery, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Dick Emery

Dick Emery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Like the subject asks. I have an old i1 Display 2 lying around and HCFR got quite a few updates since the old Curtpalme guide. However the later guide wants you to go out and buy Chromapure and I would probably need to get a new i1 too. I know these old colorimeters can go a little out of wack (but not that much surely?) and I would only be able to do 2 point manual LCD white balance. But do you think I could get in the ball park? I don't need it to be perfect just close.

Otherwise it's an expensive calibration from a pro or buying and learning the new stuff.

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    See HCFR & Eye One Display 2 - any issues? and the 273 pages (!) of the HCFR Forum over at the USA avsforum

3. raymondo77

raymondo77
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,677
    Yes, you'll need a pattern generator though. You can use the AVS disc (AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews) with the Videos app and a USB stick/DLNA, or I believe (but haven't tried) you may be able to use Chromecast as the generator to save you having to manually select windows/fields et all.

Also, if you don't have a spectrophotometer (like an i1Pro for example) then you're not able to compensate for the inaccuracy of the meter profile. There's a dedicated 2016 OLED calibration thread in this forum if you want more info.

4. Dick Emery

Dick Emery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I had a go with the i1 Display 2 and HCFR but it's too difficult. I think the i1 is probably too far gone as my two point IRE settings to get them both close to correct delta across the board were extreme to say the least. The lower 30% grey measurements fluctuated considerably more than I would like and when I went on to the 100% grey (white) test to find the 21% value for red the Y value kept going up and up and up then when I restarted the continuous measurements it went down and down. It could not decide where to settle on at all. I think this is to do with OLED white point fluctuations I had read about elsewhere.

I have a copy of free version of Lightspace CMS for manual tuning but it does not pick up the old i1 so I probably need to purchase the I1 Display Pro 3 II in order to use it.

I have reset the wb to defaults for now but it looks quite cold and clinical in it's default dark room ISF state. I may go back to the Rting settings for now which I found pleasing until I can figure out what to do (buy the kit and try it myself or pay a pro to do it).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016