1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I buy SKY+ box off ebay?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by condyk, May 22, 2004.

1. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bought my current Pace digibox off ebay for Freeview usage and very happy with bargain buy.

BUT, I am moving to a new place, ex wife wants to buy my DVD player and video and I am thinking ... if I get SKY+ I can probably record all the films I could ever watch so don't need DVD and saving my 14 quid/month DVD postal hire/delivery service. I could then invest in ebay SKY+ digibox with proceeds from DVD/Video sale AND get a better service. All I'd need to do is subscribe to SKY+ and buy a SKY package.

Now ... my question/s is a simple one. Is my theory correct about saving money by just getting my own SKY+ box or is there a flaw, like second hand might not have current facilities, tiny HD, whatever?? SHould I just get the box from SKY? Will it cause problems with SKY/SKY+ getting my own box from ebay?

I'm a newbie, so would appreciate any help on this.

Dave

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Do a search before you ask a question and you will usually find your answer. :mad:

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    biggest problem buying from ebay is you dont necessarily get what you pay for.... i bought one which is dodgy despite being sold as good..... then again i have bought about half a dozen so odds were i would get a bad'un eventually!

ad

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Short reply, you can but the savings are probably negligable, & + being a bit 'delicate' I'd sugest a good warranty from where ever it comes from. I'd very much recommend + however.

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    To A. Dork ... dunno what side of bed you got out of today, but I did actually do a search before posting my note on 'SKY+ ebay second hand' and didn't get the responses I personally was looking for.

Sure, I could try several other searches and then I could read through every single result all these searches generate, irrespective of whether the title looked like it might give a useful answer or not, but then again, I do have a life that does revolve around forums like this!! Some people actually LIKE helping others with these kinds of simple questions ... if you don't then why waste your time being unhelpful?

The fact that my harmless post apparently irritated you so much ( :mad: ) implies maybe you don't have a life yourself, in which case, try a google search yourself on something like 'relax', chill out' 'get a life' or all three ... or more.

6. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    :clap: excellent :D

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would tend to agree with trying to get from a good new source with warranty.... while I have got a number of boxes from ebay, these were all V1 (pace 3000) models which cant be bought new (oddly enough that means that despite being an old model, they are hard to get!). But if you look at the general price of the most common V2 (pace 3100) box on ebay, it will be something along the lines of £170 ish.... now when I got my V2 from sky, they only wanted £200 for it.... so in my mind that £30 is well spent towards the warranty and peace of mind. However, if you are keen to save a few pounds, you can get boxes from ebay or elsewhere (even here) for maybe £140 ish or a tad less, if you keep your eyes open!

all the best

ad

8. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks

I think your point is well made (and taken) and I will stick with SKY official source. Ebay is great but when the financial benefit is so little, why take any risk ... just not worth the bother.

Cheers

Dave

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I may consider £30 worth saving, but bearing in mind they'll fit it as well, move it if you want & the warranty - no contest. That is assumeing it's still £200, but even at £250 when you consider the extra wire & new LNB........