Can I buy a used Sky Box from eBay?

shopper150

Established Member
Reaction score
If I buy a box from eBay or somewhere, is it simply plug & play, or will Sky kick up a fuss about something?

If you're a subscriber why buy a receiver?!

If I buy a box from eBay or somewhere, is it simply plug & play, or will Sky kick up a fuss about something?

avoid old sky boxes, it is quite common that they develop faults after being on for years cooking away & especially when they are then switched off & allowed to cool right down.

Sky want £249 for a new 2TB box which is quite expensive. Just wondering how I can replace my existing box for a 2TB, cheaper

Sky want £249 for a new 2TB box which is quite expensive. Just wondering how I can replace my existing box for a 2TB, cheaper

I bought an old sky HD box off these forums and its been working fine. just had to install, call sky to link the card to the box and job done.

I bought an old sky HD box off these forums and its been working fine. just had to install, call sky to link the card to the box and job done.

I can only go off my experience installing satellite systems round the UK & the numerous examples of sky boxes typically seemingly working just 'fine' & the picture & sound seeming 'fine' ... but them causing interference &/or damage on other things connected to them.

It's certainly wise advice to properly [soak] test anything first that is second hand before considering introducing to your media system - once connected, in many cases now, most devices are then all effectively connected together via AV & lan leads etc.. [usually without a single earth] and any such fault can track through those leads, especially to anything that offers an earth.

You mean the Sky guy you spoke to wants 249.
Others will want less, down to nothing.

You mean the Sky guy you spoke to wants 249.
Others will want less, down to nothing.

I will try
But I have just recently gone on a 60 percent off, £100 credit offer...so they might not offer me anything further whilst in contract

I can only go off my experience installing satellite systems round the UK & the numerous examples of sky boxes typically seemingly working just 'fine' & the picture & sound seeming 'fine' ... but them causing interference &/or damage on other things connected to them.
Something quite common with the old Thompson boxes (with their faulty PSUs) but have not seen it with the latest boxes.

That does make a difference but well worth trying - Polite Persistence Pays.

All my boxes are sourced via eBay. I go for DRX-890W models as new and upgrade the HDD's to 2TB. You get the maximum user storage space that way.

Something quite common with the old Thompson boxes (with their faulty PSUs) but have not seen it with the latest boxes.

neither have I .. the newer the better

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom