Can I buy a TV that will provide the "original" BBC red button?

Dodgexander

You can't get a one-box solution if you want both smart+old red button.

You can, on some smaller 32" or less TV sizes, find one or two non-smart (dumb?) TVs, which then you could add a Roku or Firestick for Netflix
or
You can buy a smart TV which will have Netflix, and instead an external PVR like the Humax mentioned in the last post.

Even the smart PVR boxes now will probably launch the BBC news app rather than the old red button.

Probably what I'd do is the latter, set the TV to always turn on to the PVR input, (sometimes this may involve disabling the other inputs) so every time the TV is turned on fresh, it goes to that input. Then the PVR remote can be programmed to power on/off the TV box itself. Keep the Netflix separate, and on the main TV remote. Most TV remotes have a netflix button now which will launch it on the TV automatically.

speedy gonzalez

Standard Member
Thanks. I'm thinking of going the Humax way but didn't know if you get Netflix on yours TV Madness . Or I just put the BBC news icon on her laptop if the newer smart Humax models don't do the red button but do have Netflix on them. It's mainly the local news she's interested on the red button anyhow
Like you I'm trying to find an option that doesn't involve too many callouts;-) responding to TV Madness.
Also thanks Dodge. I started replying to TV Madness then started getting tea ready!

speedy gonzalez

Standard Member
Just had it confirmed by one owner and Humax themselves that the Humax FVP-5000T has the BBC red button service and of course Netflix. Any views on this device please?

Dodgexander

Just had it confirmed by one owner and Humax themselves that the Humax FVP-5000T has the BBC red button service and of course Netflix. Any views on this device please?
This thread has been about the original, non-internet based red button service.
Every TV, PVR etc uses the red button service, but some are different to others. Its not just a yes, or no.

If you're happy with any red button service, and not just the old kind, any smart TV will suffice, as would that Humax PVR if you want recording.

Humax make some of the best PVRs imo.

TV madness

Standard Member
@speedy gonzalez No my Humax does not have a Netflix button as it was produced well before such apps were commonplace. I would advise against getting the Humax PVR 9300T box as I did if you want to record. Mine will jump forward during playback and the sound will stutter. Looking on the net it was a common problem that was reported numerous times to Humax but they failed to produce a fix.
Would be of interest to me if the FPV-5000T has the old red button service. Means I can dump my current one with its problems and replace it.
I am disappointed with my Humax PVR-9300T and its inherent problems, as Humax do make excellent products normally.
Also my "call outs" are minimal now as I have gone through the functions with my wife several times and as we have done this she has written out her own instruction sheet in her own terms. She is still having to use her glasses to read what is written on each button though :) .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom