Can I buy a home theater system, and then buy the AV receiver later?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Frozencat, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Frozencat

Frozencat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm planning on getting a good home theater system. I was planning on getting a £440 surround sound 4 tall boy Samsung 5.1 system. I've been told by many people an AV reciever is necessary to get really great sound. So is it okay if I just order these speakers, and then do the research to find out what receiver is needed? And then the receiver just takes over?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Chances are you will not be able to use the speakers with an AV receiver. This is because the speakers are likely to be low impedance and anything below 4 ohms should not be used with an AV receiver. Also the sub is likely to be passive (no onboard amp) and all av receivers need an active sub. Hence it is uncommon for all in one speakers to be able to be used with an AV receiver. even if they could all in one speakers tend ot be pretty low quality and you would want to get some proper AV speakers anyway.
    Why not just buy an AV receiver now?

3. Frozencat

Frozencat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gotcha, now it makes sense. I was wondering why it should be one or the other. I didn't want to get the receiver now, and the speakers first, because I could have it guaranteed delivery by Monday, and I got friends coming over then, and I wanted to show off my new tech.

But the smart thing to do is just find the right thing, and then order it.

4. Frozencat

Frozencat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just wish I could see a link to a receiver and speakers in a package, so I know they go together the best. I'd also like the option to hook up rear wireless speakers, but I guess that would definitely harm the sound quality. The thing is I want awesome sound, and I can live with the wires, but I've also got a large room. The top room in a London house, its a loft so it's big. That is one of the reasons I thought a rear wireless system might be the best option.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    wireless will reduce sound quality so not the best option. How big is the room? If it is very large then a budget sub/sat system may not be the best option as it may not fill the room properly. If that is the case then may be worth looking at the Q Accoustics 200 or the Monitor Audio Vectors.
    Deon/Yamaha receivers will pair well with Monitor Audio, Mission, Morduant Short speakers. While Onkyo/Sony will go well with Tannoy and wharfedale speakers. Q Accoustics and Boston Accoustics will go with any of the makes of receiver.
    You will need to get some speaker cable but no need to spend a fortune. Ebay sells reels of 2.5mm oxygen free copper speaker cable for under £1 per metre and this will be more than adequate.

6. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
  7. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I too recommend Q Acoustics 2000 speaker package but youll struggle i think to get that and a receiver for £400.