can i build video scaler with computer parts?

puppy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to build a video scaler from computer parts, something like dvdo vp30 or lumegen quality.

Will be going into 1024 x 1024 alis Hitachi panel will need plenty of inputs and dvi out all housed in a slim case with remote control.

Tried this question in computers but got no replies.

budget £700.

yes a basic scaler is possible but forget anything like DVI / HDMI inputs. The performance can be reasonable IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Most don't however and I think they are well behind the likes of Lumagen now. Many of us started out like this but dedicated boxes are where most of us have ended up. [re inputs, you can play DVDs on the PC, have a freeview card and might get an SDI in, but other than that you will find it limiting I think.

If £700 is your total budget including the PC itself, forget it.

That mony could buy you a Sweetspot card to feed a scart RGB in. The same card will do component input but you have to change a dipswitch so major headache to keep doing it. Two cards would be needed. The card can also be set up to take s-video and composite.

As Nic says the only digital input you could get would be SDI, pointless unless you have SDI equipped kit.

All these could be run from within dscaler which would give excellent PQ. The PC graphics card will do deinterlacing.

Each Sweetspot card costs about £150+ so for £700 you could install 4 - one each for RGB, component, s-video and composite; or 3 and a SDI card if you have the need. Then a TV card and other bits and pieces - you'll need a MoBo with about 7 PCI slots:eek:

So if you don't have a PC to start with, you're looking at at least the money you'll pay for a good scaler. And you can spend limitless hours setting it all up, then again when it crashes, then again when you just know that tweaking seven of the filter settings in Dscaler will squeeze out a bit more quality.

I slightly disagree with Nic in that if you do buy good quality gear and spend the time setting it all up then PQ will rival the best scalers. But the hassle is really only for enthusiasts. The boxes are more reliable and easier to use if you're not a computer geek. And if you buy from the right place you'll get a nice man like Gordon or Liam to come and set it all up for you. Takes all the fun out of it of course but you will get the best possible PQ for your money.

puppy said:
Is it possible to build a video scaler from computer parts, something like dvdo vp30 or lumegen quality.

Will be going into 1024 x 1024 alis Hitachi panel will need plenty of inputs and dvi out all housed in a slim case with remote control.

Tried this question in computers but got no replies.

budget £700.
What sources would you want to use?

I'm surprised you got no replies in Entertainment Computers; they are usually a very helpful and enthusiastic crowd when it comes to using PCs for this sort of application. Just as this forum is for encouraging people to use scalers!

Nick

philipb said:
I slightly disagree with Nic in that if you do buy good quality gear and spend the time setting it all up then PQ will rival the best scalers.

I think I would have bought into this 2 or 3+ years ago but not now and not with a modest £700 budget and the desire to do scaling on a variety of different sources, all IMHO :smashin:

welwynnick said:
What sources would you want to use?

I'm surprised you got no replies in Entertainment Computers; they are usually a very helpful and enthusiastic crowd when it comes to using PCs for this sort of application. Just as this forum is for encouraging people to use scalers!

Nick
still no replys from computers, yes i do have a computer but wanted to build scaler from scratch to fit under tv, proberbley end up buying iscan, thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom