Can i build this cheaper then acer revo?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by technique786, Jan 6, 2012.

1. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Foxconn AMD E350 1.6 Small Mini PC, Wifi, USB3, HD6310 | AMD Based | Buy Online Now!

I have worked out foxconn nat-a3500 (the link above) has the better cpu and gpu(AMD E350 Zacate Dual core 1.6 and AMD Radeon HD 6310)

over the acer revo rl 100 (amd athelon ii k325 1.3 and nvidia ion)

what i wanted to know was can i turn the foxconn into a pc able to handle 1080p streaming playback and 5.1 sound over hdmi without any stutter of quality loss?

and how would i install windows on a device with no card slot? usb installation?

would this ebay advert be ripping me off with cheap parts or this going to be ok?

Foxconn NT-A3500 1.6GHz HTPC Small Form Factor 4GB 500GB Multimedia Desktop PC | eBay

thank you for the help as you can tell im a novice so anything is info to me. :thumbsup:

2. gagaga

gagaga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I looked at the Foxconn - check out the reviews, lots of talk of overheating so i looked elsewhere.

I'm set on the Zotac Nano-AD10 as my next media box - £190 inc from amazon (£250 or so for plus version factory fitted with HDD&RAM), aluminum and black plastic case, included remote and lots of good reviews.

The athlon revo is also sold as an emachine 1410(?) .. got one from scan for £107 delivered on today only a month or two back.

Any of these will run as a full 1080p media pc, the E350 system can even do DTS-MA and TrueHD passthrough on windows. Take care on drivers if using windows.

Can confirm XBMC runs great on the athlon revo, and E350 systems, 1080p bluray rips play perfectly.

Look at XBMC / openelec if you're not fussed about windows.

Installing windows 7 from a usb stick is easy - microsoft provide a tool to do the formatting / copy for you. Or use diskpart (list disk / select disk x / clean / create partition primary / format fs=ntfs quick / active / assign / exit) then use 7zip to extract the iso to the usb stick. Take care with diskpart and make sure you select the right disk to clean...

3. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks gagaga,

zotac nano looks good and the spec seems decent compared to the others. Im hoping to have it hidden away in a tv cabinet do you think it would have over heat problems?

4. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  5. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    That Zotac NANO-AD10 looks very good actually.

The HDD you linked above will not fit as it is a 3.5" one and you need a 2.5" drive. Given how expensive HDD prices are at the moment the Zotac NANO-AD10-PLUS-B looks like quite good value for money with the included 2.5" 320GB HDD and 2GB DDR3 RAM.

As for RAM, you need 2 or 4GB DDR3 1066MHz Single Channel, low profile RAM.

6. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks guys,

the zotac nano is the winner for me and i think this is a bargain

ZOTAC ZBOX NANO-AD10-PLUS-U Desktop Memory Ram Upgrade :: ZOTAC ZBOX NANO-AD10-PLUS-U Ram Upgrade :: Offtek.co.uk, the Memory Superstore

i am right in thinking i just plug this in an puff pc is much better and still not producing extra noise/heat, win win.

EDIT: also people have reported problems using the e350 has this been resolved or is this something i may have to contend with using the zotac? this could be a deal breaker for me

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012