1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I blag it with more RAM

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by magiles, Jul 2, 2004.

1. magiles

magiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have entered the realms of video editing but am worried my
    PC is not powerful enough.
    I am using Nero Vison Express / I also use Videowave 5.
    What is occurring is when I capture video it plays in the window. I will
    stop capture and play the video again and sometimes the picture doesnt reappear.
    I think this is because I have a PIII 450M<z processor and 128mb RAM.
    I cant buy a new pc as my wife would castrate me, However I can smuggle
    upgrades in.
    My motherboard will only cope with a 600mz processor but I could
    go up to 512mbRAM. Would increasing the RAM size from 128 - 512mb
    help me - or is it because of my 450 mz processor that I am having problems.
    I only want to burn SVCD - I need 800mz for DVD burning.

:clap: :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The power of the processor is only important if the software requires it to be faster. If not then it will slow things down, but should still work with no problems.
    More RAM will make a huge difference in performance with editing - more so than upgrading the processor from 450 to 600Mhz.
    Rendering from AVI files to MPEG-2 (SVCD) will take a long time on this PC, but even on a modern PC would take a couple of hours for a 1hour SVCD. The increased RAM will cut this drastically.
    You will also need plenty of spare disk space as capture takes 1Gb for every 4 minutes of video. Thats approx 14Gb per hour and you then need more space for editing and file conversion. Your best bet here is to add a second HDD that will only have all the captured video files on it. Keep all programs on your old HDD.

As for the video not being displayed on playback - I think this is more likely to be due to the graphics card you have. So this would be another upgrade worth looking at.

Welcome to the Expensive but brilliant world of NLE. Its a great and rewarding hobby that will have a habbit of parting you from your cash at an alarming rate. Stick with it and you may well be able to get the wife to agree to a new PC (well we will be able to put the holiday on DVD with the new PC dear :devil: ).

Mark.