Can I Bi-Wire my Marantz amp/Mission speakers

Jonnibravo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Marantz pm7001 and a pair of mission sx2's, can I bi wire these and if so do I use a single speaker out A terminal or do I user the second B speaker out terminal to run the second set of wires

The A and B terminals are linked inside the amp so there is no benefit in bi-wiring that you couldn't achieve by fitting the right size single run of cable. Unless you have an altruistic concern for the well being of cable manufacturers profits.

Bi-wiring has very little, if any, effect on the improvement of audio. Save your pennies.

I have four lengths of cable I assume because the previous owner bi wired the speakers however given yor advice I will save my time and l leave them as they are. Thank you for your advice

I have four lengths of cable I assume because the previous owner bi wired the speakers however given yor advice I will save my time and l leave them as they are. Thank you for your advice

If you are interested in improving the sound of your system, see if you can pick up a second Marantz PM 7001 cheaply and bi-amp instead?

Just an option maybe for the future. :)

If the speakers have previously been bi-wired then you have to make sure that the jumper bars that connect the top binding posts to the bottom ones are in place and firmly screwed down.

Yes the jumper bars were in place when I got it but I believe at some point the speakers were bi wired all IS good at the moment. Is there any advantage top bi amp if not bi wiring?

There can be some benefit of bi-amping but really only makes a small difference so depends on how cheaply you can find a power amp that will match your Marantz. The gains need to match otherwise you will have differences in volume between the two as you turn it up louder which will create an imbalance in your speakers as either the tweeters or woofers become proportionally louder that the other.

There can be a difference in bi-amping but as @larkone has said it's not as simple as connecting two amps to the speakers there has to be a power and gain balance. However it works with high end speakers and the Missions will not gain that much even with bi-amping. Manufacturers put four binding posts on speakers more as a marketing play rather than any real audio benefit.

If I had a pair of speakers costing over £2000 I'd consider bi-amping, sadly I don't and my speakers perform perfectly with a single wire. The Marantz is a classy amp and will take a significant upgrade in speaker quality but a nice system to get you started as it stands.

There can be a difference in bi-amping but as @larkone has said it's not as simple as connecting two amps to the speakers there has to be a power and gain balance. However it works with high end speakers and the Missions will not gain that much even with bi-amping. Manufacturers put four binding posts on speakers more as a marketing play rather than any real audio benefit.

If I had a pair of speakers costing over £2000 I'd consider bi-amping, sadly I don't and my speakers perform perfectly with a single wire. The Marantz is a classy amp and will take a significant upgrade in speaker quality but a nice system to get you started as it stands.

Whenever I see a query like this, I always wonder if the subtext is one of looking for improvement in a system?

Are you happy with your system, OP, or were you looking to improve it in some way?

By the look of @gibbsy's reply, if you were to change anything in future then maybe the speakers would be the way to go as your Marantz can support a higher quality than your existing Missions. But if you're happy as is, then no need to change anything!

Just as a side query for anyone reading this Thread who might be considering adding a power amp to their system (and not an integrated as I initially suggested! :facepalm:) - can you mix and match brands or would someone with, for example, a Marantz look solely at another Marantz power amp?

And how do you ascertain gain compatibility?

I am looking to improve on what I have what sort of speakers would you suggest, I don't want to get anything new would be looking at the second hand market, I was looking a dali oberon's but didn't notice any difference when listening to my missions. However if I can get more out of my amp I would gladly do so they sound pretty fantastic now.

Just as a side query for anyone reading this Thread who might be considering adding a power amp to their system (and not an integrated as I initially suggested! :facepalm:) - can you mix and match brands or would someone with, for example, a Marantz look solely at another Marantz power amp?

And how do you ascertain gain compatibility?
You can mix and match if the gains are similar and that would be determined by the specifications - if they publish it, otherwise it is 'suck it and see'. Arcam were always good at publishing the specs on their amp because they match their power amps to their integrated amps so that you can bi-amp with their kit - smart marketing move that.

I am looking to improve on what I have what sort of speakers would you suggest, I don't want to get anything new would be looking at the second hand market, I was looking a dali oberon's but didn't notice any difference when listening to my missions. However if I can get more out of my amp I would gladly do so they sound pretty fantastic now.
Speakers are so dependant on the room they are put in. That can only be tested by trialling them in your room which can be difficult when buying s/hand. The other option is to do what I did and go for something which you would believe to be a significant step up and hope that that proves to be the case. I went from Rega Juras to s/hand Rega RS7 on spec but it proved to be a significant upgrade but then the list price of the RS7s was three times that of the Juras. However the cost to me was the same as the new price on the Juras (£500).

I was lucky the person I bought the system off had a similar size room and layout to mine and it sounded so much sweeter when it was finally setup in my room. Thanks for that I will try have a look around see what else there is out there and get some advice first from here. My priority at the moment is adding network streaming and bluetooth to the mix. I have already automated the amp and cd player with alexa and google home:)

It doesn't do Bluetooth but it does just about everything else that you might need - I have two
Teufel Connector Teufel Connector | Teufel for £120

Others on here use them as well and they do not command the high prices most manufacturers charge for the same capability.

Thank you just looking at this on ebay for £60 might just take the plunge.

Can anyone here recommend a network steamer I want something with alexa google home compatibility aptx bluetooth to connect to my headphones and access to music services like Amazon and spotify connect internet radio would be a bonus

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom