Can I Bi-Amp My Speakers Using The A/B Speaker Terminals?

philpmcs

Standard Member
I have a Yamaha RX795a amp (old, but serves me well so far) and I am currently running a standard 5.1 set up. Front & Centre are KEF Cresta's - 8ohms and the rears are Wharfedale's (unsure of the model, old though) again, 8ohms.

I have the setting on the amp set to run 8ohms to all speakers as I am not using the "B" speakers at all.

Minimum:
Rear - 8
Centre - 8
Main A or B - 8
Main A & B - 16ohms.

I am thinking of bi-amping the front speakers...

There is a setting on the amp which will change the ohms as follows:

Minimum:
Rear - 6
Centre - 6
Main A or B - 4
Main A & B - 8ohms.

Would I notice much difference selecing this option with the A & B used to bi-amp?

If bi-amping to the front speakers results in 8ohm, is this not just the same as not bi-amping and selecting the 8ohm option on the amp?

Is it worth reducing ohms to Centre & rear to 6 in order to bi-amp the front at 8ohm?

If anyone could help with my dilema and suggest bi-amp or not, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Phil

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
You bi-amp by using the surround back channels of a 7.1 amp, not the speaker A/b terminals.

You need to check the manual as not all 7.1 amps can use the surround back channels to bi-amp.

philpmcs

Standard Member
My Yamaha is only a 5.1 amp (15 years old ish), but does have the option for a 2nd room set of speakers using the A/B speaker settings. There's no mention of bi-amping in the manual. Would this mean it can't bi-amp, otherwise it would say huh?

Should I check with Yamaha?

Thanks.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
If it's a 5.1 amp, you can't bi-amp I'm afraid. Bi amping uses two free amplifier channels so that the front speakers are using 2 amps each. With a 5.1 amp you don't have any spare amp channels.

philpmcs

Standard Member
Thanks for that, the more I read up on bi-amping, it seems to make more sense.

Time to upgrade and get the Denon 1919 I think...

Cheers.

Phil

The SMF

Banned
i have a rxv440rds amp and its only 5.1 but does have an A+B speaker option, i used to run A to the Hf and B to the LF on my old speakers, i never had any problems

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom