1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I avoid colour banding?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by codlord, Feb 26, 2003.

1. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Panasonic 4 series 42" plasma, fed by a Philips Q50 dvd player (progressive scan component output).

Very happy with the setup except for a bit of colour banding, mainly on flesh-tones and usually only on camera pans. This is where say for example it looks like the screen can't display all the colours so an actors face is banded with just a few flesh colours rather than looking natural by being made up of hundreds of colours.

Now can anyone tell me is this likely to be due to the DVD player, the plasma or a bit of both?

Is there anything I can do to aleviate/remove this problem?

Maybe it's just me but recently I am starting to notice it more and more.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the same problem with my 433HDE.

The effect is not that noticable on DVD's but via Sky+ it can be very distracting.

I think it's just a trait of the plasma panel itself which is not helped but the, usually, poor quality deinterlacer/scaler built into the screens.

Using an external deinterlacer/scaler such as an iScan Ultra or CS-1 gets rid of the problem on my setup...but at a cost.

Cheers, Lee

3. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have also noticed this effect on my Pio433MXE. On DVD's it appears infrequently and seems to only occur, in my case, on fast movement of faces when in close up.

The effect is much more noticeable on Sky but varies between channels. As far as I can tell the severity of the problem appears related to the bandwidth of the channel and the aspect ratio.

For example, widescreen channels such as BBC1 etc. are pretty good but a 4:3 channel such as Granada often exhibits noticeable effects.

I think that part of the issue may also be due to the additional processing required by the screen if used in ZOOM or WIDE mode. However, the effect is seen on 4:3 shots even when the display is set to 4:3.

I also have seen a 4:3 DVD which showed the effect quite noticeably (can't remember the title, think it was a give away with some cereal or something :) ). In this case I think that this was down to poor DVD mastering rather than anything else.

If I ever get some free time I'll try to do some experiments on this by comparing the Plasma with a normal TV.

I guess that I should state that, in my case, the effect, although noticeable, is not that bad unless you are sitting rather close.

Derek

4. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the banding initially using a cheapo Argo scart between my Sony 525 and LG14 plasma. Upgrading to a Monster Video3 scart made such a difference I couldn't justify returning the £60 lead for a refund.

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have the same plasma and a Denon 3800. I notice the exact same effect you mention, but *only* on R2 PAL discs. I have never noticed this effect on any of my 400 R1 discs. The 30 or so PAL discs I have exhibit this behaviour often, and I attribute this the fact that the panel is having to scale the PAL image whereas the R1 480p is native rate for the panel.

I had only just started to buy PAL discs as all my previous players had been R1 only, but I have now stopped almost as quickly as I started - they look totally awful compared to region 1 on this plasma.

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Just like to say I fully agree and share the comments and observations made by DJP and Loonatic. Overall this little issue appears mostly with non DVD material. In addition to Sky channels, I can say the same thing for Freeview. I would also emphasize further the point related to the bandwidth channel resolution and the aspect ratio. It is really important. I am an old satellite enthusiast and with a motorised dish I watch programs from various countries. Quite a few countries beat SKY (and terrestrial freeview) on satellite producing a nice near DVD quality image on my Pioneer 433 screen.

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't have any sort of TV so I can't comment on the problem there but I am having this problem on DVD's (as that is all I watch).

I tried fiddling with all the picture settings on the DVD and the plasma last night with no real change. I also tried setting the DVD to always output NTSC signal (even from PAL discs) to see if it was better using the DVD's scaler rather than the plasmas but it made no difference.

In reply to CarlB though - I am watching more R2 discs lately so perhaps it is more a problem on R2 - I will try finding a suitable scene on an R1 disc and see what it looks like and report back.