• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can hear music coming out of subwoofer

King Mustard

I bought a cheap Philips SPA4355 2.1 speaker set (£40) for work.

I've noticed the music also comes out of the subwoofer (not as loud as the speakers of course), which definitely doesn't happen with my Logitech Z506 5.1 speaker system.

Is it because it's a cheap set?

sparky10

Hi, thats right there should be music coming from the sub woofer, the sound will be bass, you should be able to control the level of volume coming from it as well.

King Mustard

Hi, thats right there should be music coming from the sub woofer, the sound will be bass, you should be able to control the level of volume coming from it as well.
I said music was coming through, not just bass. So you can hear vocals etc.

sparky10

Okay, see what you mean, have you connected up the speaker cables correctly then, it sounds like you may have cross wired the cables. This can happen especially with the satellite speakers, you may need to experiment here and try different cable configurations. From experience it does not always work out to connect as per manufacturers instructions.

Having now looked at the user instructions, it would be difficult to fit the plugs incorrectly (since there are only 2 plugs!), I guess that your assumption that it is because the speaker were not expensive holds true. Found an interesting article relating to sub woofers and whilst reasonably priced sub woofers separate low frequency sound from mid range sound and process it for good bass sound and then set it apart from satellite speakers, poor quality speakers may not just be up to it. I put the link in for the article below, makes interesting reading.

All You Wanted to Know About Subwoofers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom