Can hardly hear my turntable on my NAD C370

FoneBone1961

Novice Member
Hi All
I have a NAD C370 integrated amplifier and a Rega Planer 3 gramafon / turntable.
The problem is that it doesn't play very loudly. you can hardly hear the sound. if I put the two plugs from gramafon / turntable in "main" between "pre 1" and "pre 2" then it plays somewhat higher but the volume button cannot turn up and down.

I hope there is someone who can help me.

muljao

The nad has no phono stage, you should not be using the preouts for this, they serve a different purpose, you need to put a phono stage between your turntable and one of the other outputs on the amp

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Aux Input; Rear Panel Connections - Nad C370 Owner's Manual [Page 4]

Based on the manual, the C370 does not have a turntable/phono input therefore you need a turntable pre-amp before you can use it. By putting it into the "main" input you are plugging it directly into the power amp circuit which is why it is louder and does not have volume control (bypasses the preamp circuit). Note - do not do this with any "normal source" i.e. cd/dvd/tape desk/streamer etc. as you are likely to damage your speakers as they will get the full power of the amp through them (and it will do your hearing no good).

The Turntable has a cartridge at the end of the arm that picks up the music in the grooves of the record. This creates a very small voltage signal that is also "compressed" (search RIAA for info). This small signal need de-compressing and amplifying before it can be further amplified for input into your speakers. This first stage of de-compression and amplification is either done inside the integrated amplifier (or preamp) or by a separate box as in your case.

For example - the cartridge output is 5mV, amplifier line level input required is 1V, so you need a box that pre-amplifies the cartridge by 200 times before the line level input is satisfied and can then amplify this even more (typically to 20V+) for the speakers.

What you need is something like the Rega Fono or Project Box MM/MC but first you need to check what cartridge you has as there are two type and each need a different level of amplification (Moving Magnet MM (mist likely) or Moving Coil (MC)).

Hope this helps.

Doh - @muljao beat me to it !!

muljao

@Ugg10 your explanation is better though :(

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
For a Moving Magnet Cartridge, the most common kind, you need 100x amplification to get the signal up near Line Level.

For a Moving Coil Cartridge, more expensive and less common, you need 1000x amplification to get the signal up near Line Level.

Further, there is Equalization that is applied to the Vinyl at it is cut. To make the grooves fit on the disc, the bass is cut and the treble is boosted. However, on playback, you need the Opposite Equalization to get the signal back to flat.

In short, somewhere in the chain between the Cartridge and the Amp, you need a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, or what is typically just called a Phono Pre-Amp. These are not free but they need not be exceptionally expensive.

He is a basic model -

Project PhonoBox MM - £60 -

Project PHONO BOX MM

You can spend more, but this will get the job done.

Search results for: 'Phono Preamp'

And if you are really desperate, you can spend less.

Btech BT26 PRE-AMP

A search of Amazon should turn up many low cost alternatives, if that is how you are so inclined.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom