Can FFDSHOW be configured by a script?

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I asked this on AVS and nary a reply, not sure if it's not possible or if scripting is a bit advanced for American HTPC owners. ;)

Is there a way to set FFDSHOW's parameters from a script prior to running? For instance, with some DVDs Denoise is a great tool and it'd be nice to be able to set that option when playing a DVD that needs it. I've hunted in the registry and can old find what appear to be large blocks of binary data keyed with 'FFDSHOW', which clearly needs deep internal knowledge of FFDSHOW to be able to change.

If I have to I'll grab the source code and got trawling, but it'd be nice to avoid wasting my time if someone else already knows. :)

Yes... well, kind of. As you said, it can be done via the registry..

I currently have different settings for NTSC and PAL material which are automatically applied by dumping data directly into the registry...

First of all, setup FFDShow according to your preferences, then export the FFDShow registry key to a file.

You can then use regedit, IIRC, (with some command line options) to automatically write these settings back to the registry on demand.

Repeat this for each particular set of FFDShow settings that you require, and you can then automatically apply them via a batch file (etc).

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that the settings are just pumped together as a binary 'blob' ... I had hoped I'd missed somewhere that I could for example enable or disable a filter with a simple key/value change.

They aren't actually binary - there's a series of text-based keys and then some hex. based values. I am using it to alter the output resolution (for upscaling dvd). So for PAL/NTSC I always scale the image to exactly 2 x the video res.

I just exported the original keys and then edited the hex value for the scale (x/y) with notepad.

Most of the settings are fairly understandable I think. What key were you looking at when you saw the "binary" data..?

I think (IIRC, not in front of my HTPC right now) that the settings are in HKCU\Software\Gnu\ffdshow.

HTH

Mr. Wilby said:
What key were you looking at when you saw the "binary" data..?
:suicide: ... what I was looking at will remain a secret to protect the stupid, suffice it to say it wasn't what I thought it was. :blush:

I don't have access to my HTPC right now but I'll go hunting again now I realise I was in the wrong place before.

Thanks. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom