Can extreme cold temps damage new speakers? (KEF Q900s)

Kinsey6

Standard Member
I ordered a pair of KEF Q900s but they got caught in record cold temps, the worst blizzard we've had in 100 years, and have been sitting on a UPS truck for over a week.

They were shipped out 11 days ago from Ohio to Missouri, then 7 days ago they were put on the local truck out for delivery to me but it then had to turn back in the middle of the day due to snow accumulation and roads closing (just a few hours before getting to me!). Then we had the record-breaking cold.

They've of course been in their boxes but I think they've been sitting inside a UPS truck which has most likely been parked _outside_ during all of this far-below-freezing weather.

During the course of getting to me, we've had 20+ inches of snow and temps down to 10 below zero with windchills of 25 below (-10f = -23.1c & -25f = -31.6c).

Anybody know if new speakers being exposed to extremely low temps could damage them or possibly degrade their performance in any way??

Ron Locke

Hey Kinsey6,

I am pretty sure your Q900 will absolutely fine. Naturally we test all of our products in all conditions (cold, heat & humidity) as these are sold all over the world.

I don't think you'll have any problems, though I'd make sure they were warm (room temperature) before using them if possible.

All the best

Ron (KEF)

alasrati

Note that if they were that cold they will take quite a long time to reach room temperature after coming inside. If it's important that they are at room temperature before use then I would keep them inside for 24 hours before using them.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I would leave them in their boxes to warm up for a day, or at least a hour or so. This will warm them up very slowly. Or, if you open them, make sure water doesn't condense on them. Water condensing on the outside might not be a problem, but water condensing on the inside on the drivers could be.

In any case, the presences of water, is also related to time. Condensation should evaporate quickly, and not be a problem, but it is something you should be aware of.

Given the temperatures, I suspect the air locally is dry as a bone, and while you need to be aware of condensation, in the dead of cold winter humidity is rarely a problem.

So, in short, moisture is likely to be more of a problem than cold temperatures.

Steve/bluewizard

Kinsey6

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply BlueWizard. I'll make sure they warm up before using them. BTW, the humidity outside here right now is 76% (another 2-9 inches of snow and more negatives temps on the way too :eek: .....ugghhhh! ...this is ridiculous)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom