Answered Can external hdd or usb reset tv ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by filmofil, Sep 7, 2018.

1. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hello everyone

To make the story short. I had problem with new tv and i sent it back to provider so in meantime i wanted to use my older lcd led tv size 32inch, which is good tv but it is not smart tv. Tv does have 2 usb ports and 3 hdmi ports so i connected external hdd 1tb with some stuff on it and wanted to check last night a documentary i got from youtube (downloaded from youtube in mp4 format).

Tv showed me 30-35ish min of documentary then i hear click sound and tv reset, i got message no usb drive then tv turns on and usb turns on and i can again see hdd menu on tv (picture, audio, movies) to pick from.

I then tried few other files (same mp4) and it played nice, then again back on 5th file it did same.

My question is, can maybe a bad sector or hdd or corrupted data do something to tv to reset it? Or do you think this tv just have hard time playing that file since it is older tv that is not even smarttv.

For example when i put on same external hdd few clips in avc, mkv or mp4 it play nice but sometimes on this documentary for example it just cracked, and always on same SCENE. For example if it reset it is only on same scene, not before, and i cant remote it fastforward as it again reset on that scene.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by EndlessWaves, Sep 7, 2018 (1 points)
  3. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Update
    I did check hdd and no bad sectors found by tool and checkup. Seems to work perfect when played via my laptop1, laptop 2 or desktop. No stutter on same file when opened in windows player, vlc or mp player. Also easily opened and played on few other programs. No error found and on same scene no stutter or nothing happen when played via non-tv devices.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    It does at first sound like a bad sector, you'd want to do a full disc scan which can take a while to be sure, preferably using the diagnostic tools provided by the HDD maker, if none works with the USB drive try Stablebit scanner (very intensive do nothing else with computer while scan is active, only scan USB drive don't let it scan all drives).

If the drive gets a all clear then what it could be is the video player on the TV crashing on that particular video, the TV media player is hardware based not software based so it has limited decoding profiles for various media codecs.

If that video is encoded in a manner it does not expect it could be why the whole system crashes as a result though that would be unusual too and a sign of a very serious system bug.

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
  6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    What type of external drive is it? 2.5 or 3.5? Does it have its own power supply or is it powered via USB?

If the latter, what is the power consumption of the drive? What is the maximum power available on the TV USB ports?

But to be honest, it sounds like a corrupt file and a poor media player app on the tv...

7. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is 3.0 usb 2.5 inch - powered via usb. Tv maximum power is twice or more then hdd using it.
    I did check HDDScan - all good, defragmented - all good, i did also check for bad sectors - nothing.

I forgot to add that before tv resets and sound cracks, i see 5 second freezed screenshot of movie then it just goes black with crack sound and tv turn on itself (when this happens also my hdd reboots).

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    It’s just rubbish media player software in the TV. If you’re really desperate to watch this particular thing, you could re-encode the file - pass it through Handbrake or similar.

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Best Answer
    It would only be the drive's fault if it was certain types of hardware problem and as the other four files play that's unlikely to the case.

It may be something on the video triggering the issue (bad data, high bit rate spike etc.) but the TV crashing rather than handling it gracefully is an issue with the TV's software.

10. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thank you