Can everything plug into my amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by [email protected], Dec 24, 2006.

1. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was Just wondering with my set up of equipment is it possible to connect everything up to the amp so i can have amazing surround sound on my home entertainment system.I have:

Song ps2
    Panasonic TH50PX60
    Panasonic DMR EX85
    NTL (pace box version)

My aim is to record something, whilst watching something else; whether im recording of one of the tuners in the TV or recorder or just simply the NTL BOX (which i will be recording of most because i get more channels than the tuners).At the moment my connections are as follows, im not sure im right.But feel free to correct me.

TH50PX60 (HDMI 1) >>>BELKIN HDMI CABLE<<<(HDMI OUTPUT) DMR EX85
    TH50PX60 (AV1) >>>BELKIN SCART<<< (TV) NTL PACE BOX
    TH50PX60 (AV3) >>>PS2 LEAD<<< SONY PS2
    DMR EX85 (AV2 EXT) >>>NORMAL SCART<<< (VCR) NTL PACE BOX

THE RF COAXIAL LEAD WHAT I GOT WITH THE DMR EX85 ARE CONNECTED....

TH50PX60 >>> RF CABLE <<< (RF OUT) DMR EX85
    DMR EX85(RF IN)>>>RF CABLE<<<(a little hole which says TV above)NTL BOX

Have i got my setup connections right in order for me to do that?

If not can someone point me in the right direction

In the near future i will be investing in an AV RECIEVER (PROBS A DENON), was wondering how i would connect everything up so that everything plays through the amp giving me amazing sound, if i did that would i have to compromise the possiblity of what i asked before (record something whilst watching something else)

Im sorry to ask so many daft questions, but i cant find clarification on most of them, and i always get alot of help by using this forum

Whats DTS Decoding,what does it mean when they say has a built in decoder?

What benefits are there with optical connections,are they the best way to connect everything?

Whats a coaxial connection?

Whats THX, is this some type of sound?

What is Divx, is it some type of video format, everyone seems to want it.

What is HDMI switching how does it differ to normal HDMI? am a bit confused about hd connections. As i understand it its best to connect my DVD RECORDER straight to the tele using hd cable? But is it best to also connect the recorder to the amp using hd? or would you only need audio connection between the two?

Do you also connect the amp to the tele someway? or is that standalone for the audio. Probably an easy question for most of you but im all confused by it

Thanks.James

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    When you get your receiver, leave everything connected to your TV as it is now, and just connect the digital audio outputs from each component to the receiver as well. That way, you don't need to turn the receiver on if you don't want to, and all your recording options will stay the same. Your new amp will just play the audio through your new speakers.

DTS is a surround sound format. A decoder takes the digital audio signal from your DVD player or other suitable source, and turns it into separate audio signals for each speaker.

Optical and coaxial are the methods of sending a digital audio signal between components. They usually sound better than using analogue (RCA/phono) audio connections. To get proper 5.1 sound, a digital connection is essential (unless your DVD player has multichannel audio outputs, on six separate phono connections).

THX is a certification standard for surround sound - don't worry about it.

Divx is a type of video encoding, mostly used by stuff you download from the internet.

HDMI switching (on a receiver) just means that it has 2 or more HDMI inputs, and one HDMI output, and that you can switch between the two inputs. If your DVD is connected straight to the TV, you only need an audio connection to the receiver.

You will probably need to connect the amp to the TV so that you can configure it - most amps use an on-screen display for the menus.

3. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv read that a few people just connect everything to there av reciever and just switch between sources, but if i did this i would have to change all my connections therefore loosing the connection for the abiltiy to record of ntl and watch something else wouldnt i ??

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Not necessarily - you could still connect the VCR scart on your cable box directly to an input on your DVD recorder, but connect the video outputs from the DVD, cable box and playstation through the receiver.

The reason that some people connect everything through their receivers is that it can make changing inputs easier, depending on exactly how you connect everything.
    There are, however, several drawbacks:

You need more cables.
    Picture quality may be degraded.
    Most receivers don't have scart sockets, so you'll usually have to use a lower quality S-video or composite connection.

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most signals sent via scart ARE composite and S-Video.
    some products do not support RGB via scart. scart generally (exept the odd lowe tv etc) doesnt accept component video where many AV recievers do.

There are pros and cons for both methods of wiring up a system but for the few quid it costs on cables i would wire it up both ways ,see which one i thought looked the best and which one was the easiest for my whole family to use then choose the way i thought was best.

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

It depends on your source components. All of my scart-equipped components (DVD player, DVD recorder, Sky+, Humax PVR) do RGB over scart. Even my cheapo Freeview boxes (kitchen and study) do RGB, as does my JVC DVD microsystem
    The only component that I've owned that didn't do RGB was a VCR.

Most of them will also do composite and S-video over scart as well