Can DVD Recorders Pause During Recordings?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Apocalypse, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I tape TV programs on to a master VCR tape and the program contains adverts I pause the recording and restart it after the adverts so when i watch the program it has no interuptions. Can the same be done with DVD recorders, does it record programs on a disc like chapters on a movie that play one after another. If it does record them like that then how does one know which chapter to skip to for a diff program on the disc?

Someone put me out of my misery................no snide comments :p

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes. or alternatively youcan either edit out the adverts (or in some cases this is done by making the adverts a chapter that isnt in a play list).

Not sure about chapters assume you should be able to choose chapter points in the same waythat VCRs allow index points.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ONLY deciding factor for me with Rec DVD players is if they can edit out the adverts but still be watchable in one go as all my fav TV series are on Sky 1 with it's constant ads.

Thanks for the reply nunew33.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on the model and media as to how easy it is.

No I could be wrong but my understanding is:
    DVD RAM - Most flexible and easily edited. As flexible as a harddisk recorder offering things like timeslip etc.. Least compatable with other players. Deleting adverts is a doddle.
    DVD-R and +R. Write once media. Can edit out adverts by making adverts a chapter that isnt in the play list. You cant reclaim the space they are on. Both media very compatable with current DVD players DVD +R more so.
    DVD +RW and -RW this is where I get ropy. Im not sure how easy these media are to edit. In one of thems case I dont think you can delete a scene, to reuse the media you have to wipe the disc!! But I may be wrong.

There are now hybrid machines that combine HDD and DVD recorders that offer the most flexibility in terms of editing and producing DVDs exactly how you want them.

Menu design and chaptering I believe is basic, you would need a PC to make them fancy

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent nunew33, I think you've just swayed me. It seems that the dual HDD/DVD recorders are the bees knees. I believe the current mag of HCC reviews the Panny version of it, might wait till Xmas when prices and options should be more plentiful.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use the E20 and using the pause to cut out adverts is a dream. No need to worry about the machine shutting down while waiting for the program to resume as do VHS recorders if you wait to long.

Most importantly there is a seamless playback option on the Panny format that eliminates those "pauses" at edit points on RAM recordings. I would assume the HS2 will have exactly the same options as the E20/30........ Also the copy quality of VHS to the Panny machines is outstanding. You should see an apparent improvement in picture quality. Highly reccomended..... Malcom.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can it do that on DVD RW as well as DVD R media?

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If I understand your question correctly the E20/30 Panasonic format machines doesn't record to DVD-RW media. You need the Pioneer format for that and Pioneer machines don't as far as I know have the seamless playback ability. They have most everything else though......Malcom.