Can DD be too "good"?!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by swarrans, Jul 5, 2002.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that for most people on this forum this comment will probably be spitting in the "Holy Grail" but....

Do you think that sometimes the enormous capability of Dobly Digital and DTS systems is over used on DVDs and actually make some films tiring to watch? My wife particularly gets irritated by me having the volume loud enough to hear dialogue clearly only to get her ear drums destroyed during a subsequent "action" sequence or LFE effect. She would claim that I love it because I'm "nerdy" but I secretly have to confess that some of the really loud bangs and crashes seem a bit over the top to me too.

I love the subtle use of DD and DTS to replicate movement on screen or create a mood of being enveloped (eg rainstorms etc) but I do wonder if sometimes movies are sold on the basis of their soundtracks in place of storyline or creativity?? (the reference to the pod sequence in Phantom Menace springs to mind!)

Anyway, I'm sure I've just invited a load of abuse, so go ahead!...

Simon

2. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Many DD amps have some kind of "Late Night Mode" or dynamic range compressor which is exactly for that purpose. Try switching that on and it'll make the quiet bits louder and the loud bits quieter.

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,085
    Hi,

Yes, why can;t the main dialog be louder?, your right , when the music kicks in or effects, i find i have to turn it down, as i have young ones in the house asleep, so i have the remote in my hand most of the time.

rai

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    As Neil mentioned above, use the Dynamic Range Control you should have the choice of OFF, LOW, MID, HIGH or equivalent MIN, STD, MAX etc depending on amp/receiver.

Just bear in mind it only works for Dolby Digital not DTS or if you have THX processing.

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks using dynamic range compression might be a good idea under some circumstances (although I have got quite a few discs using DTS).
    I do still wonder, however, if some of the studios exploit the possible dynamic range as a means to itself rather than apply the technical capabilities in a more "intellegent" way.

Simon

6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    There are movies that way over use surround effects. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY is iratating as hell IMO. During the football (blocking and tackling kind) games there is always loud rap or rock music, crowd noise, grunts, groans, expletives, cheerleaders, and what ever else mixed together. I find the whole mix nothing but irratating. This is a montauge of noise for noise's sake...like look what my speakers will do!

One of the theatres I saw SIR WARZ PM in had it turned up so loud I got a headache. Loud is appropriate sometimes, of course, but I think soundtracks are moving toward loud for loudness'es sake. I find the original post vey valid, but it's not really DTS or DD to blame now is it? It's outrageous sound mixing.

7. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like most above, I am more impressed by the subtle use of surround effects. There are some wonderful bits in The Sixth Sense that can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. The sequence in Unbreakable where Bruce Willis goes into the house to rescue the kids, there is a great atmosphere created with the TV playing in the distance, the rain behind you, various objects dropped upstairs, and then you hear the baddie walking across the floor upstairs. Great stuff!