1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DAV be beaten for same money?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 205steve, Jun 20, 2002.

1. 205steve

205steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a home cinema 'first-timer' thinking about joining the DAV S500 society... but comments on this forum have got me thinking otherwise.

Can the seperates crowd recommend a Sony DVD/5.1 speaker combination that would perform better for the same money? Approx £450.

As a newbie I need some help pairing up the seperates so they kick DAV butt - if indeed they can for the same money!

(like what DVD>Amp connections to look for - optical, digital???)

Cheers guys.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sony STR DE485 dolby digital/DTS receiver - £169

Sony DVP NS305 dvd player - £149

Sony SA VE325 speaker pack (5x sattelite spkrs + sub) - £129

= £447

Do a search at www.price-guide.co.uk

Far better bet than a DAV!

3. 205steve

205steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Simon,

Just noticed the following combo too...

Sony DVP NS405 dvd player £161.19
    Sony HTK 215 £283.68

Total: £444.87

Any comments on the above?

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dvd player - yeah, even better

HTK 215 - no, I wouldn't reccomend (only 5x 25 watts!)

I must admit, I was originally attracted to the DAV's and the HTK 215, because of their neatness.

I eventually decided to go the seperate route, not only is it better quality, but there are more connection possibilities available and I hated the thought of no scart connection which gives you RGB and auto widescreen adjustment.

If you can still get the speakers I mentioned (empiredirect was where I got mine) - they are a bargain, being about half of their original price. This is simply because Sony brought out the SAVE 335, which are more or less identical. I know purists will not agree, but I think these Sony speakers are fabulous. The Sub is about a million times better than the ones supplied with the all-in-ones (I tried the DAV 500). This is down to better one being an active sub (ie using it's own amplification) rather than relying on the measily output from the DAVS.

At the end of the day, when you can get these seperates for a similar price as the all-in-ones, there's really no argument.

Unless, you are really stuck for space.

NB Whichever model Sony player you get, buy it from somewhere that sells it as multiregion (done with the remote as opposed to chipped). This means that they won't have opened up the unit and there is no chance of having any bother with a faulty or poorly fitted chip.

I got my player from HifiBitz, had excellent service from them each time, and their prices are inclusive of delivery.

5. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If you don`t need the SACD, then howsabout:

Pioneer DV350 £150ish
    Yamaha HTIB40 (RXV420RDS & NSP220) £300ish
    Leaves a few notes for a few films, etc:)

if you need SACD, then theres deals just about everywhere on the NS700, which you`d get M/R for about £220ish