1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can component cable carry s-vid signal?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John Watts, Feb 24, 2004.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi folks,
    The reason i ask this question in here is because i have a Toshiba DR-1 which as most of you will be aware cannot accept an RGB signal from sky.

However if i connect sky to the recorder using a scart lead will that scart lead carry an s-video signal to the DR-1 and in turn would the component cable from my DR-1 to my PJ also carry an s-video signal???

If not then i guess im stuck with composite-BOO!!!!! unless i buy an s-vidoe capable sky box, Ahh more expense ha ha.

If you guys have any ideas please help.

Also folks if you were thinking of buying the Tosh DR-1 you may want to bear this in mind.

Cheers folks,
    John.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    erm you will need a S-vid capable sky box or an RGB>S-video converter like the ones JS technology sell!
    PS Why component cables in title?

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi HD,
    Thanks for your help, again,
    The title was because i did'nt know if component cables could carry an s-vid signal.
    Cheers,
    John.

4. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi HD,
    Thanks for your help, again,
    The title was because i did'nt know if component cables could carry an s-vid signal.
    Cheers,
    John.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Component cables are just cables mate so yes in theory no in practice an S-video lead or scart is much easier.

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So would the component cable only be carrying a composite signal then?

Thing is i cant run a scart to the PJ as it has no input for one
    Sky has no s-vid out
    So it looks like im stuck with composite untill i can buy a sky digibox with component video out.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Idon't understand why you need to run s-video through the component cable. Surely you are just attaching the PJ to the DMR1 via component cables.

I would strongly advise sky+ it is the muts nuts and will output an s-video signal. Or as HD has suggested an JS rgb to s-video converter.

9. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi bobbles,

Basically i only want to run one cable (the component one) from my Tosh DR-1 to the PJ so i wondered if it would carry an s-video signal.
    But that is irrelevant now as my sky digibox will not output s-video.
    So like i said untill i get a digibox with component out im stuck with composite.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ahem you can run one cable and have S-video and Component in it mate!
    All you need is the correct cable and some terminations.
    I think a JS box would be a wise investment though!

11. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a DR1 which is connected to my TV using the component cables. My Sky+ box is connected to AV2 Scart on the DR1 from the s-video output from Sky+.

I can watch Sky+ through the DR1 as long as the DR1 is selected to AV2.

The DR1 will convert the s-video signal input to allow it to output to your projector via the component.

If you don't want to go the Sky+ route you could always buy an S-Video capable standard Sky box. These were only made by Grundig and you will be able to find one on ebay cheaper than an RGB-S-Video covertor. The model numbers are....

GDS 210/2
    GDS 310/2
    GDS 3000
    GDS 2000

You would have to confirm these model number are correct. Last week there was at least 2 of each model click HERE for an example.

You can then use one of THESE cables to connect to the AV2 scart socket on your DR1

Going this route also allows you to output Sky/Terrestrial etc. in Progressive Scan from the DR1 if your PJ doesn't already.

HTH
    :hiya:

12. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Too many people on this list have been denegrating the importance of RGB inputs on a recorder. If you don't want to spend £250 on SKY+ or £100+ on a decent convertor or risk an ebay transaction for an old sky box, you should get a recorder with RGB inputs! By the way, what happens to your widescreen switching signal through the s-video lead? Does line 23 switching still work? Thank God, razscak's back to dish out some decent advice :)

13. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I agree. I've recorded a lot of programming from Sky+ HDD to DVDr using S-video and I'm very happy with the PQ. I knew exactly what I was buying and for reasons that suited me. As others have said before some machines handle RGB input worse than others can handle s-video. It all comes down to the quality of the manufacture of the machine and also, just as importantly, the bitrate of the transmission. RGB is not going to make a poor transmission bitrate look better :rolleyes:

Widescreen switching does still work :smashin:

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Completely agree Bobones, RGB is the' most important factor when deciding on a dvdr. Afterall we all archive everything at XP rate, 1hr is plenty to put onto a disc. The quality of sky's broadcast signal makes it essential of course :suicide:

I have recording 2hr recordings RGB on my E30 and S-Video on my XS30. The Tosh produces better PQ. At EP the difference is significant.

Display will have a big impact it is accepted that s-video produces better PQ on many crts due to the internal conversion process.

However, I do agree it is good to see Rasczak back. :clap:

15. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You're missing my point bobbles. To me it's more of a connectivity issue than a signal quality issue. Most Sky boxes and, until recently, most freeview boxes don't offer s-video out so the simple alternative is composite which everyone agrees is vasty inferior. You also miss out on RGB passthrough benefits when you input an s-video signal to the recorder and output RGB to the tv.

I don't think it's fair to compare your XS30 to an older generation Panasonic. Improvements in mpeg compression are being made all the time. Panasonic's new E55 will most likely have better PQ in EP than your tosh because of these improvements.

I have nothing against s-video per se. I agree that the type of display and its internal electronics have a big impact on how RGB looks in comparison to s-video. My Sony RPTV is excellent at handling both and I can't honestly tell the difference between RGB and s-video from my panny dvd player. My brother's Sony tv is completely different though, and s-video looks naff in comparison to RGB. It's a similar situation with Tosh tvs where the RGB inputs are widely held to be inferior to the component inputs.

Technically component is marginally superior to RGB and RGB offers a higher colour bandwidth than s-video, but the difference is not as big as everyone makes out. Where there are large visible differences I'd argue that it's down to the electronics rather than the limitations of the signal type.

16. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Be sure to turn up at every such 'comparison thread' and state this, else I'll be on my own :D

Mike.

17. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Digital processing TV's, i.e. 100Hz sets, plasmas, LCD, etc. often subsample color quite heavily to reduce the size of memory needed. Often color is stored in only a quarter the overall horizontal picture resolution.

The color resolution in S-video is limited by the frequency of the color subcarrier. When making a script for Paint Shop Pro that simulates PAL encoding, I found that I could hardly let through frequencies above half the color subcarrier frequency because of crosstalk between the V (red/cyan) and U (blue/yellow) components of the subcarrier.

Examples of RGB, S-video and composite quality simulated using the script can be found here. The test pattern used was designed especially to reveal bandwidth limitations, so it reveals the differences pretty clearly.

I found that the maximum usable bandwidth in my script's world of perfect subcarrier lock was 2.5 MHz. But that is a luxury not easily afforded in a real video signal. RGB on the other hand can have a color bandwidth as high as the overall resolution, so long as the source delivers it. DVD Video has a theoretical color bandwidth of about 2.5 MHz (assuming a Kell factor of 0.75) with 50Hz material.

In practice however, color bandwidth is often limited to about 1.5 MHz with S-video input, which is the same limitation as in composite video.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very true, I wouldn't have bought the Tosh without a s-video signal from sky. Anyone with sky should get sky+ before a dvdr IMO :smoke:

last point isn't quite true if you connect the TV scart of sky to the scart input on the tosh you can get an rgb pass through. It has an excellent sat moni fuction which allows this. However, you can not record this signal but the tosh can be recording, burning, doing anything and you can still get this rgb pass through.

I also agree that the comparison isn't really fair but it the only one I can do. I would also say playback on my panny S35 is far superior to that of the E30, so maybe the next gen record better too. This would be a fair assumption.

I do prefer the crispness of a component signal and use component cables to view dvds through my S35.

I also do slightly prefer rgb to s-video when watching sky, rgb is slightly more colourful and the menus tiss a little with s-video.