1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can componenet cables go from rca to bnc?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by music, May 3, 2005.

1. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    if the component output on an a/v amp (yamaha 750se) is rca, can that plug into a component bnc input board on a plasma? (presuming you have the right cable) or is it a technical impossibility? I want to avoid expensive switiching boxes etc.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

2. Chris Nicholl

Chris Nicholl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes you can, the only difference is the style of plug.

You have a PM :hiya:

3. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    chris, thanks for that - but is that the only difference? Cos I read in another forum that they have different ohm or impedance qualities?

I see avsales sell a component rca input terminal for £152 but the component bnc terminal is £85. Therefore it would save me a lot to buy the bnc board and the rca to bnc cable (thanks for the pm btw). Is that right or am I missing something. :suicide: ???

In reality, although the js rgb to vga converter is obviously highly rated, would it really make a significant difference to pq (especially given the fact I would then be by passing the amplifier and have to deal get a scart switching box etc. too?

Any help gratefully appreciated as I need to get my connectors asap! [Yamaha 750 to PW7]. THanks

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    music

Ten questions rolled into one - some generalisations are as follows:

01. 75 ohm video cables -

BNC is Best and is 'True' 75 Ohm

'75 Ohm' RCA is next best thing to a BNC and available from some cable manufacturers.

RCA (nominally 50 ohm connectors) are as good as you can achieve with most Consumer kit.

RCA to BNC cables are used quite happily by many people - if you want to go one step extra there are 75 ohm RCA to BNC cables available; Mark Grant in the Power Buy and BetterCables 'Silver Serpent' are Two cables I know of that use 75 ohm RCA connectors (I'm sure there are others).

02. AV Receiver as a Video Switcher -
    Not all AV Receivers are created equal!

Some will pass video without too many issues some will cause visible artefacts.

Lots of folk happily use an AV Receiver and feel its a 'clean' switch - others don't find them so clean; the signal your passing and the size of image your generating at the Display or Projector has a bearing on what degradation you 'see' or not.

03. JS Technology converter -
    The RGB2VGA converter does no signal processing on the actual Video Image (it works on the sync pulses) though keep in mind with an RGB signal you have NO colour control in the display; if your Digibox is Hot on Red (they often are) you have no way to dial it out within the Display.

The RGB2YUV converter actually converts one Video signal type to another so you loose a little in the conversion process; its a slightly softer look to the VGA converter.

With YUV you do have colour control in the Display so for many its the lesser of Two evils as you can then tame any over hot source signals.

04. Panasonic Input Boards -
    There are Three Boards you can consider:

The Twin Slot 'Y' Board for RGBHV/YUV or S-Video/Composite; more cost and more flexibility (for some).

The single sot 'A' Board for YUV on BNC only.

The single slot 'Z' Board for YUV on RCA only.

For flexibility I'd go with the RGB2YUV converter plus suitable cables and input Board - I cant say I 'see' any great difference between the RCA and BNC Boards (though I prefer the BNC connectors as you know they are locked in place).

We sell many more 'YUV' kits than we do 'VGA' kits and get very few (if any) complaints.

Best regards

Joe