can buying second hand give you more for your money?

simonoaks

Hi,

I was wondering, if like me, you do not feel the need to have something brand new, if buying second hand is potentially a good move.

I suppose what I am asking is, do the latest models at a cheaper range still have better qualities over older ones? Or does it vary dramatically?

For instance:
onkyo 905 over 706
yammy 763 over 2700
denon 1909 over 2808

etc?

I was toying with the idea of buying second hand for my first set-up and figured there is potential to get something reletively new (in terms of age not moving technology) and a a good "bang for the buck"

For example, I auditioned a yammy 2700 about a year ago and loved it, would there be any disadvantages to getting one instead of a 763?

cheers

bazonix

hello:thumbsup:

simple answer is yes

the older amps will definately give u more for ur money... if ur after a one box solution

from the examples u have given, its clear that the 'older' amps at that price point will give u more... ie power.... than the newer ones.... everything in life seems to be a compromise but im very old fashioned when it comes to av and hifi.... do u want a fully 'HDMI' equipped device that yes, will give u onboard decoding blah blah.... but the major drawback is if u buy one...what speakers do u currently own? how long do u intend to keep it etc? can u accomodate a one box power house etc?!!!

the yammy 2700 is a greater amp than the 763 in terms of outright amplification BUT the advantage of the 763 is that it has all the HD codecs on board and pre-outs so if u craved more power, an additional power amp would be no probs... the best of both worlds really....

its a tricky one as with the examples given, id have the onkyo 905 anyday, the 763 would come a close 2nd (as im lucky to be able to afford/accomodate additional amps) and the denon 2808 would be my choice over the 1909.....

:smashin:

Last edited:

simonoaks

Thanks,

Haven't got speakers yet and will initially be doing a 2.0 with bookshelfs at the mid range (£350 - £400). Probably bi-amp as only a front pair.

From my point of view, I have only ever has a tv with built in speakers, so ANYTHING I get will sound better lol However, just thinking about that fact that do I really need to pay a premium on latest releases when I could pick up some cracking equipment second hand?

As it is a 2.0 (will get sub next) I am not too fussed about HD audio, and if that changes, I will just get a a player that decodes it. Likewise, not fussed about any scaling as I will leave all that to my chosen plasma, which will do it better anyway.

Can you recommend any amps say less than 18 months old that are worth a look at for this solution?

bazonix

hi Simon:thumbsup:

in the instance ur totally starting out from scratch..... maybe an amp that does 2 channel well....

if ur not fussed about hdmi etc.... and are spending that amount on 2 speakers, maybe an arcam AVR350? its a great amp, although not hdmi equipped in a manner that the newer ones are, is absolutely amazing for the current money and brilliant at stereo...

i cant give u a specific answer as u may totally disagree with my listening pleasures.... but like u said... 'anything' better than the tv is easy to achieve!!

simonoaks

thanks,

do want hdmi probably 3 so I have a single controllable source to the tv. I am spending that much an speakers as I want very good quality and good base to make up for the fact it is stereo. Much do, to a smaller extent, want the amp at least future proof for additional speakers.

bazonix

then u will need to look at the likes of an onkyo 905.... its amazing! and if i remember correctly it has a reon video chip onboard that is unheard of at the price point and makes non hdmi sources look amazing and audyssey eq which is the best thing to happen to av amps since.........

With the HDMI 1.3 & HD Sound benefits and there is a lot of stuff about at the mo with HDMI switching only, and even non HDMI, due to upgrades.

My 1200ES was 8 months old when I bought it off Ebay (£200 12 months ago). I don't even use the HDMI switching/pass thru yet, but I will need a more expensive Blu-Ray player with built in decoder & phono outs when I purchase, due to its lack of HD capabilities.

So yes, a thumbs up to second hand.:smashin:

I will buy a second hand HDMI 1.3 Receiver some time in the future but at the moment I am happy with what I have......

Last edited:

simonoaks

what would you expect to pay for a second hand 905? also, what other amps fir in this category i.e. yammy, denon arcam etc ? At their time of release.

bazonix

nothing really in terms of power and performance in one package... onkyo wiped the floor with every other manuf. in 2007 and upto late 2008....

even an 875 would suffice.... but no less!!;)

cant really help with prices.....check the classified or elsewhere....

ps, the equivenent denon (3808a) is a cracking amp but the cheapest iv seen it £999 and even then, id still get the 905!!

simonoaks

905 is 700 from a shop, bit too high and don't think a 2nd hand one will come up. Wasn't looking to spend more than 450 or so, hence finding out if there is any cracking amps that can be had second hand for the price of say a onkyo 706?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I paid £375 for my 18 month old Yammy 2700 about 5 months ago off the classifieds.

I was upgrading from a 7 yr old Denon 3802 and it has been quite a step up.I love the Yammy sound and it does a passable job at stereo too.

It might not have the hd decoding onboard but I don't need it anyway as my bluray player and hd dvd player do that for me via hdmi lpcm.

Save a few quid and buy second hand everytime,there are always plenty of enthusiast's with more money than me who have got to have this years model no matter what it cost then need to dump last years model.

I am happy to buy it and save:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom