1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can black blacks be made possible on a AE500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andy9, Sep 11, 2004.

1. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read through a few posts about tweaking the colour, brightness, and contrast settings on the AE500, but i still cant get a true pitch black. Is it even possible with projectors anyway or do i just have to get as close as i can?

I've read a bit on 'filters', do these simply push onto the lense? where from? How much? what type?

Im all confused! :confused: :confused: :confused:

But apart form all that im very happy with it, sooner this than a plasma!

So, can anyone help?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ... and you never will with LCD. The essential design of the panels means that no matter what, they let some light through, therefore they can't do zero light blacks - this is territory reserved for CRT projectors. The nearest you can get is to use something like a Hoya FLD filter or a cc30 or 40R filter, provided you are happy that you'll be able to correct the colour settings once you've applied the filter. This will improve the colour performance (do a search on HOYA or CC40R - you'll unearth plenty of stuff) as well as reducing the light output which will also help. I would have thought that a good calibration of brightness and contrast with Avia would be giving you a satisfactory image.

The AE500 is pretty amenable to being tweaked, I understand, if you want to know more there's some interesting stuff on cine4home.de - use Babelfish to translate.

Sean G.

3. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like i'll go for the Hoya FLD, reading about ppl are saying the size is 52mm lense or 55mm lense, can anyone tell me the correct size?

Also if i goto Jessops, all i ask for is a 'Hoya FLD, XXmm lense' ?

Thanks

4. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help? was going to go tommorrow and get it.

5. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    unless you have a completely light absorbing room that doesnt reflect screen light with no other ambient light sources and a screen you will not get black blacks from front projection.

im very interested to see how black black is on Sonys Black screen technology when it arrives.

pez

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Hi Andy
    both of the 52mm & 55mm will fit a AE500. The 52mm fits the inner thread and the 55mm will fit the outer thread where the lens cover fits in place.

7. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks samir