Can backlight bleed/clouding get worse???

Johns23

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few LCD TV's and all have suffered from backlight bleed/clouding. I have finally got a TV that has only minimum bleed in corner but is it possible to get worse?

I know putting settings higher make it more visible but can having higher settings actually make the clouding spread onto the screen?

Thanks in advance.

Yes,and no,to your question.

from reading various posts on here,and having bleed on some sets ive owned,it can get worse,over time,but at the same time,it can be there,then gradually disappear,or just remain constant.
higher settings will only make the problem more visible.
some users get more bleed,the hotter the unit gets(the longer its on),some dont,its a mixed bag i think.
you can always monitor it,and if it does get to a point where its a distraction,when viewing,then contact the retailer/manufacturer,to seek a repair/replacement.

Anyone else got any info...maybe a technical explanation of how (if possible) it can get worse?

When I first switch on there is nothing but as warms up there is a slight bit in the corner. So if really warm can it spread?

Qouted from elsewhere:
"The entire surface of an LCD is backlit from behind by a light source (CCFL light) and the LCD blocks out the light that is not needed. Backlight bleeding occurs when this light is not 100% blocked allowing some light to "bleed" through the LCD causing spots of lighter areas on a dark or black background. Unfortunately, almost all LCDs suffer at least a small amount of backlight bleed because the opacity of LCD panels is not enough to block all light, though it only causes problems if it can be easily detected by the human eye."
So,in general, there is no definite fix for backlight bleeding.

and yes,if warm it can spread,but there doesnt seem to be a definite answer to that,as sometimes,it can go,other times it wont spread,and actually disappear..
its there,its inherent of CCFL lcd backlighting,and almost all brands of lcd suffer with it.
so either ignore it,plasma,or a led backlight lcd are the choices.

My Samsung LCD has slight backlight bleeding in the two top corners, but you only really see it on a pure black background displaying the on-screen menu, when its night outside, living room lights off and the backlight/contrast pushed to the maximum. It is not noticable under normal viewing conditions.

You could opt for an LED backlit LCD but Ive read that their have problems of their own, such as a narrower viewing angle, visible vertical lines and latency caused by the switching of the LEDs on black backgrounds.

Backlight bleeding is a constant situation , it's a manufacturing defect of some kind and has to do with panel assembly.

So the answer is NO it can't get better or worse.

Backlight bleeding is a constant situation , it's a manufacturing defect of some kind and has to do with panel assembly.

So the answer is NO it can't get better or worse.

Hmmm...thats two conflicting views as Rotten Fox says that it can spread!

To give an example of what I am worried about, I am happy with my amount of clouding visible now but with settings higher the bleed seems to be all over the screen but when lowered, only visible in one corner. So are you saying that even if I left the backlight on high for ages, whenever I turn it back down it will always be gone and the actual visible bit cannot spread?

Hmmm...thats two conflicting views as Rotten Fox says that it can spread!

It's not a virus mate...:rotfl:

A lot of people say that it actually gets better over time but that is probably not true either.

A panel is assembled only once at the factory line. The amount of clouding comes down to the way the components were put together in the first place.

what exactly does clouding look like?

sorryfor being a plonker!

Clouding is when the backlight appears uneven on a pure black background; when some areas appear brighter than others.

sorryfor being a plonker!

IMGP0003.jpg

Basically unform blacks with splodges of lighter areas, rather than being a uniform near black all over.

Wow that backlight bleed does look pretty bad! Was it like that when you first got it Badbob?

Ιt's hard to tell from a picture but i would say that it's actually minor bleeding if the backlight was set to max before taking the photo.

The room lights also apper switched off.

I loosend the screws in the surrounding torchlit/clouded areas, top left and right on my tv, and it went away so much that it had only a minor 2% 'if that' uneven-look to the rest of the screen. On tightening them they have re-appeared though.

Interesting theory...anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes I have have it too and its quite bad. Link http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/948466-42lg3000-backlight-bleed-pic.html to my thread. I went into Richer Sounds yesterday after buying it the Friday gone (27th), they suggested calling LG. LG said to take it back as I have only had it a few days. So, phoned Richer Sounds and was told that its ok to bring it back as long as LG have authorised it.
I mentioned that its only a few days old and surely I have a right of inspection. Needless to say its going back for another tomorrow.

Bit late to the party but I bought a Samsung RU7400 recently and noticed light bleed straight away. Amazon sent a service technician over from Martin Dawes and he confirmed it was a faulty panel. He also told me that it will only get worse. In fact, in the two or three weeks that I've had the TV, it's got considerably worse, as the area has spread. So the answer is Yes, backlight bleed can get worse over time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom