Can AVF influence Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Sky, O2 etc to subsidise rates or offer discounts?

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Re: the pandemic, this is just the beginning for the UK and the effects on the health system and economy will be profound and relatively long lasting. We're seeing various companies across the UK offering discounts and support.

With increased social isolation, I envisage people doing more online shopping, particularly for AV entertainment. We are all completely dependent on phone, broadband and mobile phone network providers and there are so many customers for Sky, Netflix and other streaming services.

Yet we have not seen any action from them other than to reduce video quality (Netflix and YouTube) due to an upsurge in demand.

Just wondering what people's views were on this and whether the AVF community can influence these big players to cut their many worldwide customers some slack and allow us to keep purchasing and paying them for services which they know they'll keep selling and making profit from. They know they provide something valuable akin to fuel and water in this day and age!

Re: the pandemic, this is just the beginning for the UK and the effects on the health system and economy will be profound and relatively long lasting. We're seeing various companies across the UK offering discounts and support.

With increased social isolation, I envisage people doing more online shopping, particularly for AV entertainment. We are all completely dependent on phone, broadband and mobile phone network providers and there are so many customers for Sky, Netflix and other streaming services.

Yet we have not seen any action from them other than to reduce video quality (Netflix and YouTube) due to an upsurge in demand.

Just wondering what people's views were on this and whether the AVF community can influence these big players to cut their many worldwide customers some slack and allow us to keep purchasing and paying them for services which they know they'll keep selling and making profit from. They know they provide something valuable akin to fuel and water in this day and age!

Personally If I was inclined for a crusade, I'd be focussing time on more neccesity based services such as water, gas, food, broadband etc.

People need to save money, not spend it on AV equipment or streaming services when a book will suffice.

What I'd like to see is for them to get together and offer some kind of combined subscription of say £20 per month. This is not actually related to CV: I've wanted it for some time.

The trouble is, each supplier offers a large but incomplete subset of all that's available. I currently have an Amazon Prime subscription, plus access to a family member's Netflix account. But if I wanted all of the current offerings, I could end up paying £60 pm or more, and I have no intention of doing that. Even Prime doesn't include all its offerings in the basic subscription.

Plus the fact it's a nightmare scrolling through all their lists to find something you want to watch. So that's another idea: an app which consolidates all the offerings into one master list, so at least you can find out what's where. Or is there one already?

Personally If I was inclined for a crusade, I'd be focussing time on more neccesity based services such as water, gas, food, broadband etc.

People need to save money, not spend it on AV equipment or streaming services when a book will suffice.

You're quite right, all of the suppliers need to contribute in supporting their dependents. I only mentioned things related to AV Ents as part of AVF group.

You manage your costs by subscription rotation.
Just like a child in a sweet shop, you cannot have a hand in every jar, and tasting every sweet at once. No matter the greed your stomach feels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom