Question Can audiolab 6000A Pre-Out be used as Record Loop?

DickyArt

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have been using my PC to digitise my Analogue music collection of LPs and Tapes! Mainly to CD and USB for the Car.
My Musical Fidelity A3 has a Record Loop RCA connections that I connect to the Analogue input on the PC.

I'm thinking of getting the Audiolab 6000A and maybe the 6000CDT.

The 6000A has a Pre-Out but no Record Loop can this be used to record from, on my PC?

Not sure weather I should go for a CD Transport with separate DAC to give me more options for connecting stuff!

Maybe Cambridge Audio CXC with Arcam irDACII or DACMAGIC+ into the Rega Brio (which has Record Loop)?

And then there are the Marantz PM6006UK and CD6006UK which give me loads of options but will the quality of audio be lacking compared to the Audiolab, Cambridge and Rega?

Your thoughts, ideas and help would be much appreciated.

Afaik in theory you could use the preout as a record loop if you turn the volume on the amp to full, as this will give the full strength line level signal, this would mean disconnecting speakers while doing so (awkward)

On function alone I would go for the audAudio, simply because of it's built in dac (I have 2 of the marantz you mentioned, but I'm sure at twice the price and due all it's positive write ups the Audiolab is better)

As for CD player, if it was me I'd either buy the marantz or an even cheaper model as long as said model had a digital output. If you like the rca sound out great, if you prefer the Audiolab sound you can use it's dac, just my 2cents

Rega have record loops on the Brio and Elex. The Elicit also has a dedicated line out for use with external equipment such as a headphone amp. Both loops and headphone are independent of the volume control on the amp.

You are asking, or so it seems, TWO Separate Questions -

1.) Can the Pre-Out be used to record from -

Answer: Yes, but the question or concern is the recording levels. You have to set the output level on the Amp to be reasonably close to the output level of the Rec-Out or Line-Out.

I don't think that is going to be full volume.

But since the output is adjustable, there is some level that is not going to overdrive the inputs on your computer, and at the same time is going to be loud enough for proper recording. But specifically what that level is is unclear.

If you have made recordings before, then you have some sense of the Input Settings on the Sound Card and in the Recording Software. And there should be something approximating VU Meters in the Recording Software. Use those same settings on the Sound Card and Software, then bring the Amp Volume up until the VU Meters are in their normal range. That should get you pretty close.

2.) Recommend a CD Player
-

To recommend a CD Player, we need a working budget. The Audiolab 6000CDT CD Player is about £400, so can we assume that is your working budget?

The Audiolab 6000A (50w/ch) is about £600, so that gives us a total working budget of about £1000. Confirm or Deny?

Are you open to other suggestions for both the Amp and CD Player?

This would bring your total to about £1200 -

Rotel A12 (60w/ch) Integrated w/DAC - £699 -

Rotel A12 Amplifier

But that presents the same problem. The amp has Pre-Out but no Line-Out.

Rotel A14 CD Player - £499 -

Rotel CD14 CD Player

Alternatively -

Yamaha AS801 Integrated w/DAC, 100w/ch - £570 - (£799 Retail) -

Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier

Yamaha CDS700 CD Player - £399 -

Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player

The Yamaha AS801 has high quality 32b/348k DAC and includes a USB-PC Input. And it does have two channels with Rec-Out, but no Pre-Amp out.

But back to the core question, -YES- you can record from the Pre-Amp out, but you have to make sure the output levels are in the reasonable working range of the Recording device. How you accomplish that is up to you.

Steve/bluewizard

Think the Pre-Out idea I'll leave alone for now, the MF A3 is decent enough.

I started out just wanting to replace my old Philips CD721 with the Marantz CD6006UK (£330 ish).

So if I keep my MF A3 amp (retain the record loop and good Phono) and go down the CD Transport and DAC route (for £500) I can then Bluetooth and USB/PC my Hi-Fi music.

I have so many ideas going through my head!
One minute I want CD Transport, DAC and amp, then I want cd, amp with dac and headphones, then back to just wanting a better cd player!

And I have ideas of speaker upgrade too (I have B&W 601 s3)! £500 Dali Oberon 5 .....or KEF Q350......maybe Tannoy Revolutions XT6F .....or Fayne F302...........I need to focus...!

The Marantz CD6006UK will open up my music library and be a decent upgrade.
Question.. Will the Marantz benefit from a £300 DAC?

Thanks for the input am I a lost cause? Or have I got the upgrade bug?

I don't think a marantz cd6006 would benefit much from a 300 dac, but maybe your existing Philips might, the transport doesn't matter too much as long as it's working

There are a few good dacs with built in Bluetooth, there are also inexpensive streamers that would allow you stream music from phone or computer over WiFi without the sound limitations of Bluetooth

I don't think a marantz cd6006 would benefit much from a 300 dac, but maybe your existing Philips might, the transport doesn't matter too much as long as it's working

There are a few good dacs with built in Bluetooth, there are also inexpensive streamers that would allow you stream music from phone or computer over WiFi without the sound limitations of Bluetooth

My Philips CD doesn't have any digi out, just hard wired phonos.

Well now got myself the Cambridge CXC and DACMagic+ . New interconnects and kept the MF A3 and got a nice set of cans too Meze 99 Classic Walnut! Got the CA Duo so I can use the headphones with my vinyl too liking the sound and my next phone will have AptX so broaden my media library,
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom