Can "articulated" TV wall mounts be used to offset the TV horizontally?

audigex

I want to wall mount a TV in our bedroom, but the wall it can be mounted on is about 12" to the left of where we actually want it in an ideal situation - otherwise it would block the wardrobe

I was considering getting one of the many articulated wall mounts, in the hope that as well as articulating forward/backward, I can use it to basically move the TV 1ft (or whatever length the arm happens to be) to the right of the mount, that way we can either watch it in the offset position (retracted into its stand) when we can't be bothered moving it, or offset over the wardrobe when we want it centred on the bed

Looking at the stands it feels like it should be possible, but I've never owned one so I can't tell whether the stands can actually rotate in the way required, or whether they can only rotate 45 degrees or whatever in each direction (presumably I'd need the hinges to be able to rotate more than that)

I don't mind if the TV is flush against the wall when extended, as long as it's not angled away from the wall

Is this possible? (Diagram attached, because I suck at explaining things sometimes)

j54bRZs[1].png

andy1249

Distinguished Member
There are any amount of solutions that can do this.
Here is an example

They come in all shapes and sizes , just make sure that the weight and size of the TV is accounted for in the specs , and remember that at full extension , there is more pressure on the wall mount , think levers and lever action.
Make sure the actual wall and wall mounting is secure and can handle the weight.

audigex

Thanks, yeah that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking at - but the photos only ever seem to see them being pulled out from the wall and/or rotated 45-90 degrees, not used to offset like I describe.

It makes perfect sense that they would, but without knowing the range of movement of the hinges I didn't want to assume

I'll be going with one of the "single stud" (designed to screw directly into one wall stud) models, and I've already selected my lightest TV at about 13kg, so well within tolerance of the 40kg it claims to handle and which seems to be the recommendation for load bearing on a single stud. We have no kids so there won't be anyone swinging on it or throwing it around, so I'm reasonably confident it will be fine there - presumably the manufacturer already includes a safety factor, and then I'll be applying about 1/3 of the claimed max weight

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom