1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone verify my final spec pls :)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oreoboy13, Jun 26, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much reading i have put together hopefully a final spec for my HCPC which, predictably will feed a "Panny". If any kind Sir's could cast their eyes over the list to make sure i am not about to make a mistake i would be very grateful.

From Dabs;

MOBO : Gigabyte 8IRXP £112

Graphics Card: ATI Retail 8500 64Mb DVI VO £210

Processor : P4 2.0A S478 512Kb £178

RAM 512Mb PC2100 ECC REG CL2.5 £147.67

PSU : Either 1) Enermax EG 365GP-VE £57
    2) Quiet PC 400W £86

Capture Card : Pinnical Rave £30

Sound : SB live from old PC

HD : 75Gb IBM 75GXP from old PC
    60Gb IBM 75GXP from old PC

DVD drive : Tosh X12 (cant find eaxct model number) speed from old pc

Case : Cheap tat from comp fair until i find something.

Quieting equipment from www.quietpc.com

P4 Flower cooler £37
    X2 HD silent drive £46
    Silent Vid Card Heat sink £23
    80mm case fan £17

I would really appreciate some input as i am kind of leaping into the unknown here and would like to know i am not spending the thick end of £1000 and getting the spec wrong. Any other suggestions or comments would be great aswell. Thanks

2. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Looks pretty impressive, but i'd certainly consider a different soundcard. Possibly the M-Audio 2496? Other members may also have some recommendations. :)

3. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    HI
    tekheads do the ATI 8500 card for £187 i think its the same card as dabs? http://www.tekheads.co.uk/tekheads/product?id=600720

Or you can always get the 7500 for about £100

I have used http://www.crucial.com/uk/ to buy over 3GB of PC2100 memory. You can get 512MB from them for about £80.
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR+PC2100&Package=184-pin+DIMM
    You might have to do some reading to make sure you get the right type for your motherboard (better you than me :) )

Or have a look at some CPU, Motherbord and RAM bundels
    From tekheads http://www.tekheads.co.uk/tekheads/bundle
    And overclockers [url http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bundles_26.html[/url]
    I am sure there are other sites that do bundles if you look around

I use the SPDIF output on my soundblaster audigy into a Denon AVC-A11SR. DD DTS no probs and it sounds ok to my ears.

Maybe you could build up your PC without the PCquiet stuff, you might think it sounds ok without it.

Good luck with it all coz i know how much of a pain it can be to get everthing working.

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Is it to be used as a dedicated HCPC??

If it is i'd forget about the Ati 8500 & get a 7200 retail version the money saved could buy you a M-Audio 2496 as Paul mentions.

The ASUS P4B533-V mobo has had good reviews on the AVS forum, this has on board sound but i don't know about the quality

Personally i wouldn't use Quietpc stuff it's mega expensive you can do just as well from other retailers only cheaper:D

Rest seems ok

What OS & software you running????

Cheers
    Tim

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not just HCPC but games as well.

Will the MOBO make that much difference.

Where else can i get PC quieting stuff?

I will eventually replace the SB card.

I will be using XP pro and Hyper OS so i can run several versions of XP i.e 1) HCPC 2) Games 3) Web etc. 4) TT 5) Power DVD etc.

i know i will be using Dscaler etc, but first i just would like to build the machine and then worry about weather i should be using TT of PowerDVD etc.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Consider also the asus P4S533.
    similar to the p4b but with ata133 support and missing USB2.0 ( I'd rather have the ata133 on the board and buy a USB2 card later if required) Also supposedly supports the new 400MHz memory albeit unofficially. (make sure you get the newer 533 capable P4too) Bit cheaper than the P4B too. I like asus mobos : have had three and they were never a problem and esay to configure : broke one of them myself though! doh!

I've got a quietPC power supply and HD enclosure . Whilst ok I think you can probably get same level of quetness for less money with different components. Also have a zalman flower cooler and same advice goes ( mine was a nightmare to fit but I think the first clip was dodgy : luckily they give you a spare , watch fingers!)

The HD enclosure is frankly unecessary on my seagate barracuda drive and has very low build quality for the money.

Using a radeon VE with no fan on the card ( works well so far).

Saying all that the machine is very quiet in use and stays constant at nominal temperature levels. ( can't be heard at all at distances greater than 2 feet) I only use it for dvd playback though ( and dscaling at some point)

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Niether of my cards support Ata133 infact only the Maxtor HD do.

Where is a good alternative to quiet pc components?

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pack man
    sorry i missed you rpost first time, thanks very much some useful links i will have a look and get back to you :)

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Re case and PSU - you might want to consider an Antec case - the PSUs are meant to be as quiet as some of the Enermaxs, and the cases are apparently well put together units. Have a look on www.ebuyer.com - the cheapest is the 282, at under £50. The 630 and 630 II (new range, with front mounted USB and Firewire ports) are also worth a look. www.antec-europe.com for more info.
    They also come with a case fan, so you can see what it's like before going all quietpc.

I'm assuming you need a firewire header on the MB for that connection to be any use, but a nice touch.

That's what I'm going for when I finally get my act together.....

10. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mr.D's comments re Seagate Baracuda HD's mine is totally silent.
    If youre re-using HDs you already have, check the quietPC spec for their HD enclosure as I think your 75G HD might produce too much heat. If you run wired ethernet then I find this plenty fast enough to have almost all my storage elsewhere.

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi there,

www.aria.co.uk better prices for the Zalman stuff...seems to be one of the cheapest for most things, also one postage for many items.

Me....I'm just building a second HTPC, using :
    Radeon 8500 (ATI origional with zalman passive cooler)
    Epox EP-8K3A MB (6pci to sacrifice one for zalman graphics cooler, no fan on northbridge)
    Pioneer 106S DVD (has software enabled AV quiet mode - you only need 1 speed you know)
    IBM Deskstar (software enable audio management, slight performance impact, but its one of the fastest drives anyway)
    Zalman 6000 flower cooler (passive on chip, but has quiet fan as well)
    Athlon XP 1800+, 256MB DD333 PC2700 memory.
    Case is an ok beige thing as i've yet to find a good case at a good price that'll do ATX.
    May get an Enermax PSU as well but the case came with a 300w psu and i'll run it up first.

Cya,
    Lee