Can anyone think of a good reason i shouldn't buy a panny 32pl4??

The_blue

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm realy thinking about getting this set but i need to make sure it's gona be right as i'm gona be living with it for a good few years :)

I've seen quite a few 32 inch pl1's around and know this is the same set without the dolby. But I've only heard 1 pl4 but it was in comet so you can guess how the speakers were setup :rolleyes:

Is the sound as good as i hope? i can't afford another speaker setup :( as this is just about the top of my limit!

all in all is there a better set that i've over looked for ~650 quid? Or have i made the best choice?

P.S. has anyone seen this set cheeper than £639

MOIRE is a pattern which appears down the sides of the screen when playing an ntsc signal. It is a problem with most panny crt sets. The pattern looks like stripes down the side of the set. Very annoying. There are stacks of threads on this forum about it.

cheers shaun

Cheers just spotted it :(

I don't have much use for ntsc at the moment but u never know later on..

Would you recomend another set? if so which one?

I have now gone back to sony and so far I am very impressed. rear projection mind. The new sony FQ80 seems a good set. I know that the previous model, FQ75 had a few problems (I had one) but sony seem to have sorted it out. There is a thread on the fq80 on this forum too. Sounds good to me but I am now sold on rear projection now.

cheers, shaun

should say. I had the panny pl10 36 inch. it was a fantastic set apart from the moire. I believe that you can de focus the tube though which will get rid of this problem. Apart from the moire though I was well impressed. I use lots of ntsc though which is why it had to go

shaun:(

Would the tosh 32Z17B be a better option?

I'm also thinking about a sub, can you conect a sub to a pl4??

My panny was not a pl4 but a pl30. it had stacks of plugs etc for connecting things like amps (i pressume) Not sure on the PL$ though. I would think it will be the same. Tosh tvs dont have moire but I cant comment on much else about them.

good luck

Looking on techtronics site and it looks like the PL4 only has 2 scart and no audio out :eek: (one scart is AV In-Out)

Would this stop me addind a sub?

The tosh has line outs and a sub channel..

I recently accompanied a friend thinking of buying a PL4 on a see and try trip round the shops.

These thoughts might be based on a failure to properly understand the PL4's controls, but we were unable to get a remotely satisfying way of zooming a 4:3 without very obvious distortion at the edges of the picture- ludicrously wide shoulders, etc. We tried Panny's "Just" and "Automatic" modes and neither resolved this.

I was very disappointed. My own Loewe's "Pan" and "Cine" modes stretch 4:3 without obvious distortion but with some clipping of the top and bottom of the picture. Surely this is a more sensible route. And anyone gives the purists's riposte: watch 4:3 in 4:3, 16:9 in 16:9; most people (like my mate) will not buy a set unless at least most of the screen is covered with a picture..

However- I did notice that "just" seems to work far better on the aging curvy Panny DK1- perhaps the curve offsets the picture edge stretching? I concluded BTW that the DK1- one of the cheapest sets in the stores and soon to die no doubt as an unfashionable curvy- gave the most rounded performance of any of the sub-£1k sets I saw.

Anyone care to tell me if there's a better way of aspect ratio management on the flat Pannies... or Sonys come to that as we were also unable to get a satisfying zooming of 4:3 on an albeit briefer play with a Sony set?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom