• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can Anyone that's owned a 2011 S40 tell me what this is

woppy101

Distinguished Member
Can anyone that's owned a 2011 Volvo s40 tell me what this is on the dashboard? I'm thinking of buying the car but the dealer says it isn't a sat nav so I'm trying to work out what it is

mjn

Distinguished Member
Download the manual for the car?

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
I've got a 2012 & it definitely is the sat nav. Assuming it's a SE Lux? Be worried that the dealer doesn't know that.
Controls should be on the back of the steering wheel; right hand side.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Clearly a satnav unit, as it's giving a satnav error "DVD insert shutter is open"
Don't know where the satnav disc unit is on the S40, I think it's under the seat on the XC90.
Make sure you get that error cleared and the satnav working before you buy.

woppy101

Distinguished Member
Yeah I have just popped into the garage and they have ordered and new remote control and a maps dvd, the guy has said the satnav will be working when I collect the car on sat, I'm presuming it's just a case of putting the disk in and updating to clear the error

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Yeah I have just popped into the garage and they have ordered and new remote control and a maps dvd, the guy has said the satnav will be working when I collect the car on sat, I'm presuming it's just a case of putting the disk in and updating to clear the error

Hopefully, yes.
I know it's a common fault on the XC90, many owners tape the DVD door shut to avoid it accidentally opening and giving this error.

woppy101

Distinguished Member
I've got a 2012 & it definitely is the sat nav. Assuming it's a SE Lux? Be worried that the dealer doesn't know that.
Controls should be on the back of the steering wheel; right hand side.
Yeah the guy that said it wasn't a satnav was just the salesman the guy that deals with the cars knew right away it was a nav unit and when I had rung up this morning had already ordered a remote and new disk

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I just thought it was an illusion? Is that not some major design flaw then?

It looks awful IMO

That model of S40 was around for a long time, it was first released in 2004.
I remember looking at one before I ordered my A3 in 2005.
Back then, built in satnav wasn't really something people wanted or expected in a car.
But as time went on, people demanded built-in satnav and the likes of Volvo obviously had a problem fitting displays into a dashboard that wasn't really designed to take them.

woppy101

Distinguished Member
Just to update I ended up buying the car then taking it back a week later, they had lied about the service history of the car stating that it had full Volvo service history. when I picked the car up they said they didn't have the service book and would forward it on to me in a few days, when I got the book all the services except 3 had been done at Halfords and places like that, when I brought it up they said a Halfords service was as good as and classes as a dealer service, I went and checked that with mill Volvo (the main Volvo dealer)when I asked the guy I have never seen someone laugh so hard(I have been a motorbility customer since 2002 so services have always been done at main dealer). So off I trotted to the garage kicking off, he was adamant he was right and wouldn't refund the car until I told him I was going to the local press about his garage. in the end I got my money back and went to the main dealer and got a nice little 55000mile full dealer service history V40 SE Nav for £9500 with a years dealer warranty and free mot for life. Moral of the story trust nobody

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom