1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone tell me what the connections are on the PS2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by choccycockerel, May 23, 2003.

1. choccycockerel

choccycockerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anybody knows what the connections for the PS2 are. (i.e USB, Scart etc...) Any help appreciated.

:smoke:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Depends on the cable you use. You can get

Composite
    Scart
    S-Video
    Component

just not all on the same cable. You need to choose your connection method and then buy the right one.

It also does have USB sockets on the front but not sure what devices work with it apart from the PS2 ones of course like light guns etc.

3. choccycockerel

choccycockerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are those sockets your talking about the ones located under the controller ports??:hiya: :hiya:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    USB are below the controoler ports yes the PS2 also has an optical digital sound output. For video it does not use standard cables but a unique end at the console end and a standard ones at TV end RGB is the best video standard the current PS2 supports.

5. choccycockerel

choccycockerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you use these ports to hooke the PS2 up to your amplifier? Can you get a USB-phono cable?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO you cant use USB>Phono
    Why would you want to? the standard composite cable has stereo out!

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    PS2 uses exactly the same video connection system as the original PS. I remember laughing in Game when I spotted the PS2 video cables were 5quid more than the PSone version. You can also rewire the scart lead version to deliver svideo if you know the pinouts from the PS2. I've done this a few times.

8. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    If you're TV/Plasma can accept component use THIS!. I've got it and its amazing, better than RGB on my Toshiba 36ZD

9. fernando

fernando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

How can I do this???? It a oane-way modification, or I could to reverse it:confused:

Please explain me this issue.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YOu can just buy the s-video lead for <£10 if you want one!

11. fernando

fernando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It is more expensive it hasn´t the connectivity of a scart. Acrually, I am using the AV adaptator plus a S-video+phono to scart lead. This combination gives a hagh quality picture but It more expensive that a Offcial scart and never will do RGB signal.

That modification will give me RGB when I´ll need, but for the moment I could use the S video signal.

Cheers

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Its just a question of swapping some pins around on a normal scart lead. You will need to solder a little at least on the scart side and you'll need to get a cable that doesn't have moulded on plugs as you need access to the internals.

I might even have one I've rewired knocking about somewhere.

Reversible?? Well yes to the extent that you could rewire the scart plug for RGB again but its sorta not worth the effort. the leads are only about 6quid these days just buy 2 and have one of each.

13. fernando

fernando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thax a lot for the explanation Mr D.

Could post a mini guide for doing it????

I can look for the pins o a scart connector I must to swap around in order to get an S video Signal, but I think that some thing must be changed also in the other extreme of the cable, I mean, in the connector that is pluged into the PS. Where can I find such information???

Cheers

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    The scart side of things is the easy part. You'll have t remove some capacitors that are inline with the RGB pins and then you'll have to reuse and resodler a couple of pins to give you the svideo outputs for the standard scart : a standard type2 scart pinout diagram will tell you how.

With regard to the PS2 plug you need the pinout diagram again and you just move the relevant pins about to give you the svideo output from the PS2 (composite ,RGB ,svideo and audo are always active from the PS" socket its just a question of tapping into the one you want).

Its really easy I'll see if I can find the pinouts for
    you.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm

for the PS2 side of things.

http://www.blackbox.com/faxbacks/19000/19792.PDF

for the scart ..pins 16 and 20 are C and Y for svideo use.

for the PS2 pins 7 and 5 are C and Y .

don't touch audio its fine as is.

15. mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. :)

My girlfriend and I just bought a secondhand PS2 (the slim one) from eBay and were having alot of fun with it. The graphics on the later games are still really good I think and I'm enjoying TOCA Race Driver 3 immensely. :thumbsup:

One thing that bugs me is the proprietary AV connector on the back. I saw a website (cant remember url) where a guy modded an x-box to stereo phono sockets and RGB video outputs. Ive been looking at the link above that shows the PS pinouts and Im a bit confused. Which ground pin should I use for this output? Do the audio and video grounds need to be seperate or can I join all the RCA grounds together? Whats the +5v for? (switching signal perhaps?) :confused:

The idea is that I can use a RGB-to-scart cable for picture and good phono leads for audio. I know I can buy off the shelf cables but Id rather build my own if possible so I need to know the correct scart pins for component video.

I'm looking for better picture and sound from this mod and easier connection into my system.

Any help greatly appreciated. ;)

Mike.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  16. mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bodged my PS2 cable so I could connect to the rear of my sky digibox. I had some 75ohm coax from an old Cambridge audio phono lead, and an old scart plug. I removed all the pins except the composite one and wired in the coax connecting shield to the ground on the scart plug. Then I stripped back the lead on the PS2 connector (the one with the yellow plug) as close to the AV multi out plug as possible. Soldered the coax on and taped it up. Now I can connect my PS2 to the back of the sklybox instead of via the front panel on the TV. The audio left and right go to my Cambridge Audio amp.

I fired up TOCA Race Driver 3 and was rewarded by a much beter picture, result! :thumbsup:

I still plan to add RGB phono sockets to my PS2 later and a pair of audio out phonos too. Then I can connect to the TV via a 'scart to phono' RGB cable and use a good quality audio interconnect to the Amp.

I know the PS2 is 'old hat' now but the more recent games have pretty good graphics and I'm not a serious gamer anyway. I just love bodging things! :)

I'll post some pics of my modification when its done.

Mike