Can Anyone Suggest Floor Speaker Pairings for Denon PMA 1600NE Integrated Amp?

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
Hey everyone - I am new here so first off thanks for reading and for your potential input.

I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what amp to buy.

we are going to use our system mainly for listening to vinyl, cds and other music sources either online or stuff i have put on my computer already, some flac live shows etc

will not be using it as surround sound tv/movie so 2 speaker setup is

Reading threads here and on other forums and review sites I narrowed it down to the following several:

rega elex r
marantz pm 8006

my understanding is these both do not contain a dac or any digital inputs and are pricey so may not be best for me

Arcam SA 20,
Parasound Newclassic200,
cambridge cxa81 or 851a,
Marantz pm7000n
yamaha as 801 or as811 (found a good deal on an as8111 but

and finally the denon pma1600ne - which for a number of reasons i am kind of settling on as probably the best option for my needs/wants out of the system - i'll gladly go into these reasons if anyone is curious

this process has taken a while - way longer than i imagined - and i am still not 100% sold on the selection as i think my final decision will be influenced by what best speakers i can get that will work best with the denon or a different amp

The room this system will go in is a pretty large living room that is also open to/connected to a pretty large kitchen so that is why i am looking at floor standing speakers - we would mainly listen in the living room but want to be able to hear it in the kitchen - one idea was to get separate smaller wireless speakers for the kitchen and that isnt ruled out either, but it seems like a good pair of floor standing speakers should be good enough to heat from 25/30 feet away if we wanted

i am not a total noob to audio setups but am definitely not an expert on lot of it so i have been trying to educate myself on the various classes of amps and some general principles about matching speakers to amps - something i really have no info about.

so if yall have suggestion/advice/experience with this denon and can recommend some speakers in the $2000-$4000 a pair range

or feel strongly about a different amp/speaker pair combo from the list i have above i would love to hear your thoughts!

thanks for reading this and thanks for your help!

dollag

Speakers and your room acoustics are the most important things when setting up a 2 channel system.

I always recommend going to hear speakers s our tastes pretty much differ. you ask 100 ppl what is the best speaker for a certain price, you will get 100 different answers .

all of the amplifies you listed are great. I tend t always buy a good power amplifier as dacs and features seem to change pretty much yearly.

the rega for example would do you for 20 years as it's pretty much just an amplifier. systems with dacs built in etc can get outdated pretty quickly. adding something like a yamaha wxc-50 to a good analogue amplifier is a good way to get all the features

as mentioned, your room will have the biggest effect on the sound along with speakers. open plan designs are not ideal so i would do your best to add some form of room treatment. Things like thick carpet and curtains are a blessing in a casual living space.

a pic of the room would be great.

are you based in the US?

my fav sounding speakers in that price range would be

kef r7's
pmc's
proac
svs ultras

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
Thanks for that info

Here is a panorama picture of the room - the stuff that you see in the picture is not what will be in the room when our furniture gets here, but at least you all can see the general setup

the tv is going to be in the corner wall area between the fireplace and the sliding glass door

it seems like having 2 speakers there might not work as they wont be far enough apart so the plan is to have the speakers on either side of the sliding glass door facing the area the couch will be.

Attachments

• AA533871-C63E-4E15-BE84-EF4F95D899FB.jpeg
    AA533871-C63E-4E15-BE84-EF4F95D899FB.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 399

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
Also im glad to see some familiar speakers like the kef r7, pmc and svs ultras recommended as i have seen them and they seem to get good reviews - its hard for me to know/understand if the wattage on the denon is too low for those

Numpty112233

@PhishIdiot welcome to the forum.
I'm a big fan of the Denon amp and have reviewed it's bigger brother here

which contain links to various others. General consensus on one of the other links is both the 1600 and 2500 sound very similar and I strongly suspect you will be extremely happy with it.
I fully agree with @dollag re speakers and room acoustics having a big effect and auditioning, ideally in the room rather than at the dealer if poss, is recommended. One deciding factor is how much space you can have around each speaker and which speakers suit that amount of space.
I like Montior Audio however it is very much personal to you

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
definitely am trying to figure out a way to test a couple different pairs of speakers in the room

As a general consensus tho does that amp have enough power for some of those bigger speakers?

Numpty112233

definitely am trying to figure out a way to test a couple different pairs of speakers in the room

As a general consensus tho does that amp have enough power for some of those bigger speakers?
For whatever reason Denon quote a much lower power output than it really has. My PMA-2500NE volume knob is rarely turned above 10 o'clock and others have commented here re the 1600 you are interested in;- Denon PMA 2500

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
Thank you!!

this has been a confusing and frustrating journey that will end soon with me listening to a lot of music one way or another so am happy about that lol

gibbsy

With a room of that size and with KEF R7s being a possibility I would suggest that both the Rega Elex and Denon PMA 1600 are a tad underpowered to drive them without the possibility of clipping which pushed. I would be looking at their bigger brothers in the Rega Elicit-R or the Denon PMA 2500.

The Elicit, again a pure analogue amp, will partner the KEFs very well indeed giving superb bass control and very detailed mids and highs. I've not heard the Denon but I do own the DCD 2500 SACD player which has the same DAC and processing on board and it is very good indeed. The Denon player is very forward sounding to me, perhaps some would say bright because it extracts so much detail.

Personally I would pick the Elicit over the Denon as you can pick your own DAC to partner it and the KEFs.

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
Thank you for that input gibbsy - i will check out the ones you mentioned - i have heard similar advice that an external dac may be preferable to a built in one

Numpty112233

With a room of that size and with KEF R7s being a possibility I would suggest that both the Rega Elex and Denon PMA 1600 are a tad underpowered to drive them without the possibility of clipping which pushed. I would be looking at their bigger brothers in the Rega Elicit-R or the Denon PMA 2500.

The Elicit, again a pure analogue amp, will partner the KEFs very well indeed giving superb bass control and very detailed mids and highs. I've not heard the Denon but I do own the DCD 2500 SACD player which has the same DAC and processing on board and it is very good indeed. The Denon player is very forward sounding to me, perhaps some would say bright because it extracts so much detail.

Personally I would pick the Elicit over the Denon as you can pick your own DAC to partner it and the KEFs.
The PMA-2500NE independently measures a good 50% more powerful than Denon's spec and I suspect from what I have read the PMA-1600NE is similar. Whether or not this is enough depends on speaker partnership and use. For most owners it is. I don't get anywhere near max or clipping on my 2500 even when VERY loud with the MA Gold 300 speakers.
I am confused with the logic it is an advantage to need to spend extra for an external DAC box (Rega) over having a choice of spending extra for an optional external box and running analogue in or not spending extra for an included internal DAC which most are extremely happy with (Denon)..... but then I am easily confused.

gibbsy

I am confused
Personal choice. Nothing more nothing less. I do love the 2500 for it's playing ability. If I were to buy a new amp tomorrow it would more than likely be the Rega Aethos, just love the Rega's abilities and excitement. I'm not worried about having a DAC in any amp as there are plenty of alternatives available and DAC development certainly moves a lot faster than amp design.

dollag

I recommended the yamha wxc-50 as an example as it has a good dac but also streaming capabilities. there are more exotic and expensive streamer/dac solutions but i'd personally focus on a good power amplifier and speakers with some room treatment first. get these things right and they can stay put for decades. an amplifier with built in dacs are more susceptible to you having upgraditus syndrome. The way you will be listening to music will steer you in the right direction here as imo there is no best way to do things with a blanket approach.

I will agree with @gibbsy regarding power. The kef range are power hungry and will happily swallow up whatever wattage you throw at them.

nomore landings

Standard Member
Firstly, big fan of Marantz/Denon and have the approximately equivalent Marantz amp. As you can see from below, they pair well with DALI to my ears.
However, we in the UK pay a big premium for US gear and you pay more for European I would be tempted to check out home grown speakers plus Canadian. My mate who lives in Arizona has Goldenear which he loves. One benefit is their powered sub wooffer along with some room correction DSP. They have conventional mids plus ribbon tweeters. Relieved of the bass demands, the Denon would have ample power. Just a thought.
https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

PhishIdiot

Novice Member
I appreciate all of your suggestions

some of the stuff you are telling me about looks amazing but is out of my price range unfortunately - but this has been very helpful

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
First decide what you want from the speaker. Eat speaker has a slightly different sound characteristic. Some are brighter, some have a bigger sound stage, some are smoother and more mellow. What is it that you are looking for?

Then stick with know brand names - Bowers Willins, Wharfedale, Moniyor Audio, and others.

Next ... size. Get speakers that reasonably fit you room. In most cases 2x6.5" each will cover a lot of ground. If you want more bass or have a larger room, then 2x8" each. But for a smaller room., probably 2x5".

Next ... placement. The bigger the speaker the more room it needs around it. All speakers need room around them, it is just a matter of how much. Geney bigger speakers and speakers with heavy bass need the most room. Tipically from 12" to 20" behind the speaker.

If you are I the USA, then ,Best Buy, Music Direct, Audio Advisor, and a few others are good places to look.

Steve/bluewizard

Ron Hilditch

Running two systems. The first has a Denon PMA-2500NE, had it for a while with PMC Twenty 23 speakers. Got a too good to miss price on Monopulse model A speakers. With the PMA-2500NE, they left the PMCs sounding bass light and dull. Second system PMA-800NE with PMC Mini Monitors and dedicated stands. If you're in North America and light on dollars? Worth a listen. Don't know if they marketed Monopulse speakers in North America? If they did and you can find a pair at reasonable money? Got to be my first choice.

Filipedine

I'm also a Marantz fan, I have a SR8012 and a PM-75 that can pushing my Dali Rubicon 8.

If you have the budget get the Dali Rubicon 8, if not try the Rubicon 6. If the Dali Rubicon series is out of your price range then go to the Oberon range they are killer speakers that kick well above it price point and can grow has your system improves - audition them you will not be disappointed.

You should also consider auditioning Triangle speakers.

Filipe

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom