• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced soundbar?

S

swelsbyuk

The only one I can find is this the Crystal Acoustics SSB-1 from Amazon (priced at £219). M & S were doing one for £199 but that is now £299.

All other soundbars are much more expensive and, to be honest, more expensive than the TV (TV is a Panasonic PX80).

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations that they would like to share?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
When you say 'sound bar' do you mean just speakers, or speakers with built-in amps and surround decoding?

Steve/bluewizard

S

swelsbyuk

I wish I knew the answer to that, but I'm afraid I don't!

I just want something that will make the sound on my tv sound better than a goose farting in the fog!!

I only have a tv at the moment, nothing else.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Here is a 2.1 system with amplification -

Q Acoustics - Q-TV - New flatscreen TVs are getting bigger and better. They produce crystal clear, pin sharp images and t...

Q ACOUSTICS QTV2 DISCREET 2.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5681 for details

But, the cost is £300 for the set.

The simplest way to connect it is through the TV's headphone jack. This allows you to adjust the volume just using the TV's remote volume control.

With no headphone jack, you must connect to the TV's analog Audio Outputs, or the TV's Optical Audio Output. In this case, the volume is controlled by a separate supplied remote control.

A basic Sound Bar with built-in amplifiers is going to be similarly priced -

YAMAHA YSP600 DIGITAL SOUND PROJECTOR - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5535 for details

Depending on the available outputs from your TV, there may be other options from separate amp and speakers, to self-power speakers, and others.

Steve/bluewizard

S

swelsbyuk

Thanks for those suggestions, they both look very appealing. The missus won't allow seperates so these will work. Which is likely to give the better sound would you say?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom