Question Can anyone solve this Optoma mystery?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jigpig, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Jigpig

Jigpig
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me resolve a problem I'm having with my Optoma HD80..

It all started over a year ago when I turned it on and half the projection was covered in black and white bars. I never photographed the problem but below is a mock-up that I made that shows what the projection looked like.

[​IMG]

I googled around and found that, although not very common, other people have reported the problem (although not with an HD80). Some had suggested that the black and white bars would disappear if you squeezed the projector in a certain place. Later, some more tech-savvy guys determined that the problem was due to dirty connectors on the motherboard.

However I never got round to trying these fixes out as the projector abruptly healed itself and the problem went away.

Fast forward one year..

I moved house several months ago and the projector had to be put in storage -- and ever since its not been quite right. When I first powered it up after the move, it was projecting black and white bars on one half of the display again..

I decided to take it to a repair guy. But then things got worse. When I powered the projector on to show the guy the problem, the problem had gone away and in its place there was a new one: the projector took forever to display anything, and when it did, it projected only a dim white picture. Providing the projector with a signal via an hdmi port did nothing. See below for a picture I took of the projector projecting onto an off-white wall from 1.5 metres away (apologies for fuzzyness).

[​IMG]

Anyway, I left the projector with the guy overnight and he calls me in the morning saying that he's never seen anything like this before and doesn't know how to fix it. He says that all the components look in good working order, particularly the colour wheel, and that maybe there is a fault with either the DLP Chip on the motherboard or DMD chip on the daughterboard.

Disappointed, I take the projector home. But now comes the final twist. The fuzzy picture above was taken last night at 11pm. I turned the projector on and off twice, and both times it projected the same dim white projection -- I tried plugging an xbox 360 into the back and firing it up but nothing changed.

Fast forward 9 hours: at around 8am this morning I forlornly turned the projector on just to absolutely confirm that there was no hope, and look what happens.. it's working again!

[​IMG]

So can anyone explain this -- is the image processing faulty? Or the connections loose?

And more importantly, can anyone recommend how I might fix the problem? It maybe working now but I'm concerned that the problem will come back, especially if I attempt to move the projector in any way.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    I think it's possessed. You didn't do any nude selfies on a mountain in the time it was boxed up did you?

on a more serious note. I have seen a similar thing with other devices and there appears to be no rhyme or reason. Turning off and on, after removing mains power leads, often fixes these weird video processing corruptions. I think you will just have to keep your fingers crossed on this one.

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,615
    If the stripes appear again, the squeeze definitely works.

I'm sat in a room with an Optoma which I use most days, and most days I have to do the squeeze just after turning on as the stripes appear, but it's then fixed for the whole day, even if I leave it on all day, or turn it off then back on again 4 hours later.

These instructions are for a unit hung upside down, so reverse if it's placed the right way up on a coffee table.

Reach up and grab the extreme right and left sides with your fingers. You should grab the bottom of the projector (the bit nearest the ceiling).

Now place your thumbs on the top of the projector (the bit nearest the floor). Pull down (towards the floor) with your fingers whilst pressing up (towards the ceiling) with your thumbs, squeezing the case, almost as if strangling it.

As I say, reverse if it's on a coffee table (pull the bottom up with your fingers, press the top down with your thumbs).

Works every time without fail.

Daily!

Steve W

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    Steve, That sounds like it's a dry joint on the board somewhere and you're squeezing is letting it make contact again until such time as the part contracts and contact is lost again....

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,615
    I've been doing it for a few years now.

No doubt it'll give up the ghost one day, but I've had it a while and it's seen pretty heavy use.

Steve W

6. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,910
    It probably just wants a cuddle....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. FishFish

FishFish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it just needs to be opened, cleaned and the connections to be checked :p If that can't fix it, then let's all squeeze the projector ^_^