Quantcast

Can anyone running t-mobile on any iPhone confirm or deny...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
That you do or don't have the Internet tethering option and APN input ability on your handset please?

Would those that DO have the tethering option PLEASE be kind enough to test it on your computer (whatever computer you have iTunes installed on; I don't think it needs to be the one you sync with, and I don't think you even need to have iTunes open - just plug in the iPhone to usb, go to settings and turn tethering on, select USB only (unless you want to try with bluetooth) and remember to set your wifi - on both the computer and the iPhone - to off. Once your PC has finished setting up the connection it should connect, or double click it in My Network Connections so it connects, and the iPhone screen should glow blue

I'd REALLY appreciate if some of you tried this for me, as on T-Mobiles site it says tethering is permitted on their iPhones, but for some reason, my 3.1.3 3G, which used to do it fine, doesn't do it anymore! and I just wanna see if the iP4 does

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

mikeossy

Novice Member
I can tomorrow! when mine arrives......sorry!

TwoJs

Distinguished Member
I have a 3GS using T Mobile Sim, have internet tethering option and a VPN option not an APN option, hope that helps !

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Would those that DO have the tethering option PLEASE be kind enough to test it on your computer (whatever computer you have iTunes installed on; I don't think it needs to be the one you sync with, and I don't think you even need to have iTunes open - just plug in the iPhone to usb, go to settings and turn tethering on, select USB only (unless you want to try with bluetooth) and remember to set your wifi - on both the computer and the iPhone - to off. Once your PC has finished setting up the connection it should connect, or double click it in My Network Connections so it connects, and the iPhone screen should glow blue

I'd REALLY appreciate if some of you tried this for me, as on T-Mobiles site it says tethering is permitted on their iPhones, but for some reason, my 3.1.3 3G, which used to do it fine, doesn't do it anymore! and I just wanna see if the iP4 does

dr no

Just tried this and USB tethering works really well.
There is a VPN option but no sign of any APN option whatever that is.

Edit: but slow and pictures are low resolution.

Last edited:

Bennybeanbag

Novice Member
Yep it also works via Bluetooth. All you have to do is pair it to the laptop once then when you turn tethering on it will just connect if you're within range. No APN required since T-Mobile became an official iPhone network and the carrier settings download via iTunes.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Thanks for trying it - nice to know it's working! Wonder why mine isn't? The only thing I've done since I last used it was to Jailbreak it, so I wonder if somehow, the JB broke it?

In mine, I just don't have the Tethering option at all;

But I'm sure when you click Cellular Data Network, you get the APN settings for Cellular Data, MMS and I'm sure I used to have a third set for tethering!

Either way, the option disappeared - litterally right in front of my eyes : I went to settings, General, and there it was, tapped it to turn it on, the page changed to select USB or Bluetooth, I selected USB, plugged it in to the laptop, and nothing happened. I went back to settings and it was gone!

As said - I used it a couple months back and was fine, then earlier this month I did the Jailbreakme JB and it was either that same day or only a couple days later I went to use it and the above happened. So I had to install PDANet to use it. So I'm hoping that when I get my iPhone 4 it will work again - which by the sounds of the above, it does! So a big thanks to all who looked and tried! :smashin

Anymore who want to try, just to check, please do so and post back! :clap:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Benny - no thanks button for you - not sure why, but here's a THANKS anyway :smashin

But to clarify - do any of you have access to ANY APN's? Do you all have the CELLULAR DATA NETWORK button, like in the pic above, and if you do, when you press it do you get any APN's?

Last edited:

dr no

No I cannot find any cellular data info. or the APN option.

chukwe

Matt_C said:
How strange! So I have the APN options (as I did before) but no tether option (disappeared) and you guys have the tether option, but no APN's!
When did you JB it?

When I JB my on the day commix released the jb, mine tethering option disappeared and many others as well complained about the disappearance.

3 days ago, I restored my iPhone to 4.0.1 using my SHSH file and jb again.

This time my tethering option has now returned

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I did it sometime this month I think - 3.1.3, using the Jailbreakme hack.

I would do the upgrade to 4.0.2 but I can't be bothered to go through the "usual" process of JB'ing using redsn0w etc - I only did it to see if the Jailbreakme hack really worked!

I'm not massively bothered as I have PDAnet installed should I need to tether, I just wanted to know if it was because of the JB I lost it, or if it was because of updated carrier settings as I was advised in a thread I made. Also, I noticed on the T-Mobile site for the iP4 that tethering appears to be allowed by them, so I thought they must support it and not block it from the iOS, so thought I'd ask here and see if anyone else was able to do it - seems they are so my problem must be with the JB...

JonStatt

It isn't strange. T-mobile released a carrier update that hid the settings to change the APN etc. So T-mobile have locked you from making changes, not that you would need to make any. The important thing is that the tethering option remains. Note even a generic phone, with a T-mobile SIM card inserted, will get the carrier update when connecting to iTunes and the APN settings will disappear. But they will come back if you put a SIM card from another network in the phone.

Bennybeanbag

Novice Member
Benny - no thanks button for you - not sure why, but here's a THANKS anyway
Thanks is showing now, so thanks for the thanks....

I lost tethering options on my 3G when I JB it but retained all the APN settings. I only bothered so I could unlock it and to be honest I'd sooner have no APN to mess about with and tethering available than the other way around.

Bennybeanbag

Novice Member
Not JB now. Got an IP4 on T-Mobile and love the fact it all works and I can update firmware when I want.

jerryq7777

If the phones officially unlocked couldnt you put another sim in to change the settings and then when you put the t-mobile sim in again refuse any carrier change ? Might work worth a try.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
No real point, it's fine at the mo - like I said I can still tether if I need to using PDAnet; I just wanted to a) try and find out if it was the JB that caused the issue (and it seems it was) and b) if the T-Mobile users on the iP4 can tether without JB'ing, which it seems they can!

So when I get my iP4 on T-Mob, I'll be all set!

And, yeah, it is officially unlocked :)