1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Anyone Recommend the Best -R discs to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IrishGraham, Aug 3, 2005.

1. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a batch of TDK, Sony and Philips, all of which seem fine but are a bit pricey, I see people here have mentioned Verbatum which I have never heard of but are much cheaper from looking up them up on the net.

As I tend to buy 50 or 100 at a go I dont want to buy discs from manufacturers I dont know and end up with a load of coasters or discs that wont playback in a year but know that there are other better manufacturers out there that the ones I mentioned earlier who only price on their name and not necessarily quality.

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    If you trawl back on this thread you will find this was discussed in length some time ago.
    I don't think there was an outright winner but a lot of members gave their good/bad experiences.

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A bit out of date now, but this site is a reasonable start point for information about disc quality.

4. KieranE83UK

KieranE83UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know anything about tuff disks as my local pc shop is doing a good deal on 100

5. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I wouldn't touch them personally. Have a look at the Disqworld Media Discussions and Reviews forum for people's opinions and experiences of discs.

I tend to buy Ritek G04 dye discs, but shy away from the G05 dye which can be problematic. I also like the Datawrite Titanium discs, but only with a CMC01 dye as others have reported problems with other dye types.

Check SVP's site for prices on different disc types.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    If you want the best than you have to be prepared to pay the extra cost for them.

The best discs that are not brand names are Taiyo Yuden (about 50p per disc). I use Ritek G04 4x discs which work well for me. They are about 18p per disc.

Ritek Extreme G05 discs are fine and the best G05 discs.\

Stay away from CMC dye discs.

7. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    See. Everyone's gonna have a personal opinion. Diversity is what makes this big ole world keep spinnin'.

8. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, best disks I've used have been the TY's (about 70 written and none failed so far). I put off trying them for along while because of the extra cost, but they're worth it (and it's still not exactly expensive).

I tend to use Datawrite for cheaper disks, once again I wouldn't go for the CMC media, they were doing MCC R02 a while ago and they were very good, but don't seem to be available anymore. Verbatim also do MCC disks and these should be nearly as good as the TY's but cheaper.

I used to use G04's but they went very patchy for awhile so I switched.

You might want to try www.videohelp.com and checking the compatibility lists for your readers/writers

9. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The big scare with fake Taiyo Yuden's a few months back. It has put a few people off buying them cos they don't know what they're gonna get. Like a box of chocolates (with the little selection sheet removed of course).

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    I use the Verbatim Pastel 8x DVDs from SVP (in packs of 5) they also use the Taiyo Yuden dye and are superb. They also work in my older PC DVD drive which only writes at 4x unlike some other 8x DVDs. They work out at about 50p per disc, but they are quality.