Can anyone recommend me any tyres

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 skoda fabia and the problem is when i try to pull out of a junction when it rains or has been raining i pull wheel spins their is plenty of tread on the tyres but it is just not gripping the road, so can anyone recommend me any tyres.

I have a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on the front of my S-Max and will be replacing the rears soon with the same. Good all weather grip, not too noisy and appears not to be wearing as fast as other tyres I have had.

Also like that the tyre is proud of the outside face of the wheels so protects the alloys if you get too close to the kerb.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. For the money you'll find it very hard to beat their wet performance. I've ran them on an Alfa GT, Celica gen7 and now 320d BMW and they are a great all rounder and excellent in the wet.

Ease off the gas and pull off correctly with effective use of biting point?

I have a fabia, never has the problem, looks like you have a heavy right foot. Do you drive any other cars alongside the fabia?

No other cars alongside the fabia, it only happens when it rains so it must be the tyres.

Not sure the wheels are standard steel wheels on a skoda.

On the side of the tyre it will say Goodyear Eagle 195/65 R15 for example.

What do they (all) say?

Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. For the money you'll find it very hard to beat their wet performance. I've ran them on an Alfa GT, Celica gen7 and now 320d BMW and they are a great all rounder and excellent in the wet.

Easily these. :thumbsup:

Fantastic tyre.

It sounds like the tyres on the car at present are a budget brand.
There's really little point in recommending one brand/type over another.
Basically, any tyre from a decent brand will give you decent wet grip, comparing one against another comes down to tiny differences.
I personally try for Avon when I can because although the company isn't British owned any more, the tyre are still made in Britain.
Had Avons on a few cars now, wet grip is as good as any Michelin/Uniroyal/Dunlop/Pirelli/Goodyear I've tried.
Wet grip is also listed on tyre websites now, 'A' being the best.

Wet grip is also listed on tyre websites now, 'A' being the best.

Just to clarify, those ratings refer to wet braking which is not necessarily the same as "grip".

A good example of how misleading this can be is that the Toyo R888 track day tyres are rated B or C, and their sporty road tyres T1-R are rated C or E.

You are far more likely to slide about or aquaplane off the road with the R888s than you are with the T1-Rs.

I've had other budget and premium brands and Rainsport 3's have a noticeable improvement in wet conditions.
Although the fabia shouldn't be wheel spinning I had a picanto as a courtesy car once and even with no power it would wheel spin even in the dry if you were a little to heavy on the gas, the levels of grip were truelly shocking and scary.

I've only once had abysmal tyres, some 'Sunny' brand I stupidly bought for the wife's Fiesta.
When a 90bhp diesel Fiesta is wheelspinning in third, you know your tyres are crap.
They were binned, even though they were new, and a proper brand bought.

My rainsport 3s (and before that 2s) are better in the wet than in the dry. I might actually consider something else next time I need to replace as I feel like I'm scrubbing a lot of tread off in the dry.

Not sure the wheels are standard steel wheels on a skoda.

If you don't know the size of the tyre, what engine does it have (eg, 1.2, 1.4, 1.9TDI etc). and what spec, (Classic, Comfort, Elegance)? I have a 2004 Fabia vRS so may be able to find the size for you.

We need the size is important as not all models of tyre are made in all sizes. I'm currently running Goodyear Asymmetric 2, but there's no point in recommending to you, if you can't buy them for your car.

Last edited:
DSC_9800.JPG

Easily these. :thumbsup:

Fantastic tyre.

+1

Rainsport 3 are superb!

Can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres :thumbsup:

Okay sorry for the late reply the car is a three cylinder 2003 model, not sure what engine size i presume 1100, the front tyers are tyefoon and the rear tyers are firestone, apologies for the dodgy pictures.
004.JPG 005.JPG

Tyfoon??
As I suspected, Chinese no-make crap (referred to as 'ditchfinders' on the likes of Piston Heads)
Change them to anything from a well known brand and you'll notice a marked improvement.

:facepalm:
I wonder how many accidents a year have cheap tyres as a factor.

Agreed.
But what do you do?
They all meet the required construction standards, the only thing there isn't a standard for is grip!
And a huge proportion of drivers simply don't give a crap about the quality of components they fit to their cars, from tyres to brake pads to wipers.
All they want are the cheapest parts that keep them road legal, their effectiveness or safety doesn't even get considered.:(

I wish you were wrong.
I knew someone like that where I worked, always thinking he was clever by doing things cheaper including tyres.

For obvious reasons, the motorbike world is different and cheap no-make tyres just don't get a look in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom