Can anyone recommend me a universal remote for my system please?

nlanks

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a universal remote for my system please? The simpler and cheaper the better (would buy s/h too), don't really need macros etc, prefer buttons to touch screen.

TV: Panasonic TH37PX80
STB: BT Vision (black)
TV speakers: Q-Acoustics QTV-2
DVD: Arcam DV79
AV Amp: Yamaha DSP-AX620

So 4 real components, but the QTV2 throws in a bit of a curveball as it has it's own volume +/- and mute remote control, which I would want available instead if the TV volume control. I think this rules out the simple Harmony 300i as it can't learn?

The amp obviously has its own volume control too, so I wouldn't want the QTV2 to be the only volume control available to me.

Any ideas welcome as I'm a bit confused as to what can do what!

You're right that the Harmony 300 is simple, but it does do "learning".
You won't find a remote with two sets of volume up/down and mute buttons.
If you can find a Harmony 525 that would be a good choice.
The only current model is the 650 but it's way over priced imho.

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean I would be able to get it to lean the QTV 2 volume controls and the TV buttons etc? Would I also be able to maybe then learn the amplifier volume controls onto a a similar up and down button somewhere? If I could get the 300i to work that would be great as its only 23 quid on Anazon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one but it never gets used and I haven't tried the "learning" process on it.
The option is present though and presumably you could "learn" commands from one device to another.
You can "learn" to any button, so if you can find spare ones you could use them.
For this type of one-device-at-a-time remote though I think you'd find other brands at better prices.

OK I've done a bit of searching and have bought the One for All URC7960 for £15 on Amazon to have a play with. At the price it's not really an issue if it doesn't work, and looks like their web support are fairly helpful if I run into difficulties.

One thing I have noticed though across most brands - why are all the number keys tiny and at the bottom of remotes, the hardest place for your thumbs to reach when holding in the same hand?! I'd have thought selecting TV channels would always be the most used function?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just thought I'd bring this thread to a close and let you know what I did.

I bought a One for All URC7960 SmartControl remote for £15 from amazon. It is PERFECT!

Codes worked for TV, BT Vision and Yamaha straight away. I had to learn the DV79 (very simple though) and then overwrote via learning the TV vol+/- and mute with the QTV2 controls.

All works perfectly, and the smart control modes allow you to set the remote up via 3 mode buttons to mix and match the functions.
Eg Watch TV button controls the main TV and set top box features together ( eg vol is TV, numbers, menu etc are STB).
The Watch movie button does the TV, DVD and Amp controls, and the listen to music button does Amp and TV.
Saves you flicking between devices to change the volume, then change channel on STB etc.

Got to be one of the most satisfying 15 quids ever spent for me!

Thanks to Logicel for your replies and input on this thread (and for saving me 10 quid!).

You're welcome - and good to hear it turned out a success - Logi

It even looks a lot better than the Harmony 300, and it has reasonable number buttons.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom