Can anyone recommend me a good foil electric shaver?

tazmago

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking to replace my failing Remington foil shaver, problem is I’m not a lover of rechargeable only shavers, but instead prefer to use it plugged into the mains. I’ve been looking a Braun shavers 3, 5 and 7 Series, but some reviews say you can use them corded, then other reviews say not :thumbsdow.

So can anyone recommend a good foil electric shaver I can just plug in and shave with? My budget is around the £100 mark.

Thanks.

Maybe not what you want but I've got a philips one blade and it's fantastic for a very quick shave. Not quite as as close as a good electric shaver but I always have to finish off with a blade anyway for a very close shave no matter what electric one I use.

I can highly recommend the Braun clean and renew. I think mine in a Series 7? I’ve had it years and years and only had to change the blades and foil once.
Each time you put it on a clean cycle it’s like a new razor again.

Not sure why you’d specifically want to have it plugged into the wall all the time, but you can use mine plugged in if you forgot to charge it and needed to use it.

I can highly recommend the Braun clean and renew. I think mine in a Series 7? I’ve had it years and years and only had to change the blades and foil once.
Each time you put it on a clean cycle it’s like a new razor again.

Not sure why you’d specifically want to have it plugged into the wall all the time, but you can use mine plugged in if you forgot to charge it and needed to use it.
I bought a BraunClean and Renew 9-series back in the day which was relatively expensive, currently using a Brain 7 series block and foil replacement it it’s still as good as when I bought it 6 years ago.

That said the combo approach of a Philips one blade and a Merkur wet shave after is a much cheaper and comparable shave

Thanks for help guys, much appreciated.

I’ll check out the suggestions, I like the sound of the Braun shavers, but the Panasonic may be a bit much for my sensitive skin :blush:.

Last edited:
I used to have the Philishave and always had a very good, close shave from them, but I have a Braun series 5 at the moment and I am not that impressed. I find it does not get under my chin so well and is not as close.

If the razor has a lithium battery, the chances are that you won't be able to use it while charging. It's mainly the older ones with NiMH batteries that will charge and operate at the same time. Neither my current Braun or previous Philishave would charge and operate at the same time.

I used to have the Philishave and always had a very good, close shave from them, but I have a Braun series 5 at the moment and I am not that impressed. I find it does not get under my chin so well and is not as close.

If the razor has a lithium battery, the chances are that you won't be able to use it while charging. It's mainly the older ones with NiMH batteries that will charge and operate at the same time. Neither my current Braun or previous Philishave would charge and operate at the same time.
Thanks. It’s seems that most of the newest highest rated shavers are wet & dry, and as a safety feature you can’t use when plugged in.

Thanks. It’s seems that most of the newest highest rated shavers are wet & dry, and as a safety feature you can’t use when plugged in.

Ha ha, yes if you drop them whilst using over a sink of water and it's plugged into the mains your going to have a bad time :rotfl:.

, but the Panasonic may be a bit much for my sensitive skin :blush:.

Been using a Braun cooltec shaver the last few years as my skin is too sensitive for the three head shavers. Don't think it can be used plugged in, but it's got a decent battery life, shaves pretty close and doesn't make me look like I've rubbed my face with poison ivy

Having done some Braun research, it seems all of the 5 and 7 2017 models are wet and dry only, some 2016 models are dry only, can be used plugged in, and are still available. So I’ve just bought a Series 5 5050cc from Amazon for £111 delivered on Monday :smashin:. This seems to review well and comes with a cleaning station as well.

So thanks for the help guys, much appreciated :thumbsup:.

I had a Braun 5 5197cc, wasn't a bad razor at all, all 5's series have the same foil so it will be the same as that.

Ha ha, yes if you drop them whilst using over a sink of water and it's plugged into the mains your going to have a bad time :rotfl:.

Do shaving points / bathroom electrical outlets have built-in RCD's? Sounds like they should!

It's still going to go BANG init!

My Braun 9595 works when plugged in and is washable.....

Aye, but can you/would you use it whilst it's plugged in the mains and you are in the bath or the shower?

A lot are washable but not suitable for wet shaving in bath or in shower.

Wet and dry usage ones are specifically made to be used in wet conditions or in water, and having it plugged into a mains socket whilst bathing is not really advisable.

Aye, but can you/would you use it whilst it's plugged in the mains and you are in the bath or the shower?

A lot are washable but not suitable for wet shaving in bath or in shower.

Wet and dry usage ones are specifically made to be used in wet conditions or in water, and having it plugged into a mains socket whilst bathing is not really advisable.
I wouldn’t, but it is plausible that a plugged in and charging device could fall into the basin filled with water

Entropy always increases ;).

Just as an update to this, I received the Braun Series 5 5050cc today, and was suprised to find the three box seals had already been broken, and new smaller stickers put on top. I suspect that I have been sent a return or even refurbished shaver. The shaver looked new, but the power cable was not tied, and I found a few hairs in the bottom of the box :eek:.

Needless to say it’s going back for a refund, and I’ve now decided to go with a Series 7 7865cc from Amazon themselves (last one was through a seller). I know I can’t use it plugged it, so ill just have to get with the times, and get used to a rechargeable only shaver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom