1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone recommend me a good 23" or 26" HDTV-ready LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Doctor Hades, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi

I'm currently looking for a reasonably priced 23"/26" HDTV-ready LCD for around £800 or less but definitely no more than £1,000.

I'm buying one for playing games and DVDs on and want a HDTV compatible set for the future Xbox 360 and PS3 games consoles. It must have at least one component connection, a couple of SCART sockets (one or both RGB enabled) and either D-SUB or DVI/HDMI. I realise the latter two are true HD digital connections and better but the Xbox 360 is said to only support analogue (via component or D-SUB). I'm not too fussed about the normal terrestrial TV picture although I have Sky Digital. It's for the bedroom so anything over 26" is too big.

I'm slightly confused over the different aspect ratios but presume that a true 16:9 1366x768 panel is better than a 15:9 1280x768? Is that right bearing in mind that the Xbox 360 will output 720p as standard (1280x720 NTSC/1280x750 PAL). Would a 15:9 screen be better for mapping the pixels 1:1 with small borders at the top and bottom? Presumably the 1366x768 will be stretched, losing clarity, or worse still have a picture frame border around the 1280x720 image! Graphics would obviously look fine stretched but text in menus and on the HUD would presumably look odd stretched? Can anyone put my mind at rest about the differences between the two ratios and if there are any real advantages/disadvantages to owning either especially in relation to console gaming?

I've seen three LCDs I like the look of though one of them, the Sharp Aquos LC-26GA5E, has been heavily criticised over on the Xbox forum I visit so I've kind of being put off that despite the fact that the picture on Sharp LCDs is generally highly praised in the AV magazines. The other two are the JVC LT-26DS6BJ, which has a 7ms response time, plenty of connections but is rather expensive at over £1,000 (the cheapest I've seen it), and the Samsung LE-26R51B, which has similar features to the JVC (8ms response time) but is much cheaper at around £700 despite looking horrible with it's black glossy frame. All three LCDs are 1366x768 16:9 panels.

I also liked the Sony KLV-26HG2 which is a 15:9 LCD but it lacks D-SUB/DVI or HDMI. Ditto for the KLV-L23M1, a 16:9 1366x768 LCD. They are both expensive but I've heard the WEGA picture is among the best of any LCDs so you get what you pay for I guess.

Would any of those LCDs be perfect for what I want or would I be better off waiting? I'm finding it very confusing trying to pick a LCD. If anyone has any of those models, I'd value your opinions especially if you play games on them (Xbox, GameCube or PS2). If anyone has other recommendations, I'm open to those too!

Thanks.

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the jvc looks really good, and it's got a LOT of connections. Dvd's look stunning, analogue is pretty good. It's a bit more costly than the samsung, but i think it's worth it regarding the quality of jvc compared to samsung.

3. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi Doctor Hades :hiya: . Your posting has definitely struck a cord with me !
    I've been looking into these forums for a while now, and have been wondering the very same questions that you have asked - but I've yet plucked up the courage to do so !

I'll particually interested regarding your question of 15:9 / 16:9 / 1280x720 / 1366x786 resolution - as this is something which I find most confusing (it doesn't take much). If anyone could clarify, it'll be most appreciated.

I guess I'm in a similar position as you, I just want something that'll play console games (PS2 & PS3) if supported, in either 720p or 1080i & conventional DVDs - and in the future, blu-ray BDROM. I know the PS3 will support 1080p - it won't fit my budget! As I'm used to 480STD gaming resolutions, 720p will be fine.

My budget is also similar to yours - £1,000 tops. As is my preferred screen size - 27".

As for your question as to your 3 choices - I'm not in a technical position to comment. However, the JVC has caught my eye - especially since I've seen it for less than £900 ( http://uk.shopping.com/xPC-LT_26D50BJ ).

Edit **Scrap the above link ! Had the wrong model in it !!! Doh !***
    The cheapest I've found is £1,009 + P&P.

I hope that someone comes along and answers your questions.

If you do decide to go for the JVC, let us know how it is.

4. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Sharp 26GA3E looks fantastic on my Xbox via Hi Def component. Its a superb bit of kit.

5. Lechuck

Lechuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the answer to 15:9 or 16:9 is simple:
    - 1280x720 and 1366x786 are 16:9 displays
    - 1280x786 is 15:9 display!!

I saw Philips 9946 model (1280x786, 15:9) and when viewing DVDs in 16:9
    you get a black stripe on top and bottom. That means less picture. Some
    LCDs could also cut/crop the picture, etc.

In theory 720 lines are ok for 720p, so for 1:1 mapping you need 1280x720 16:9 display. But as we can read here on forum from happy owners of 1366x786 16:9 displays, they are also great for 720p.

Hope this helps :)

6. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Thanks for the replies.

I thought the Sharp LCD looked great too not only in terms of features and connections - I downloaded the manual! - but also looks as well - less important I know but considering how horrendous some models look, i.e. the new Samsung ones, it's nice when they DO look good! However, two people over on the Xbox forum said the picture was horrible on it with an aerial picture and Xbox games although that was via composite and RGB SCART. Is this the norm for LCDs as my sister has a 30" Thomson LCD and I tried the Xbox version of FIFA 2004 on it (RGB SCART) and it was so utterly, utterly awful - with players suffering from blockiness and appearing to break up as they moved - that I was totally put off the idea of buying that model and LCDs in general. Her TV had 10ms response time too! With the Xbox 360 looming on the horizon I've decided to take another look.

I presume I'll see a huge improvement if I use component or D-SUB, enought to make me and those other people think, "Now that IS a good screen!"? If so, then if I may reconsider that model and try and look for it in the shops to see it for myself.

Also can anyone answer mine and Mickus' ( :hiya: ) question about whether it is better to go for a 16:9 1366x768 panel or a 15:9 1280x768 one. Seeing as I've yet to see a standard non-LCD widescreen TV in anything other than 16:9, why on earth are LCDs 15:9? Would a 15:9 monitor be better suited for the Xbox 360 as there would be less 'stretching' of a 1280x720 NTSC (1280x750 PAL) image unlike with a 1366x768 one, and presumably it could be displayed 'as is' with tiny borders at the top and border.

Can anyone who plays games in 720p on Xbox - I realise these games are rare - please tell me of their experiences? Does it make the menus and HUD look blurry with a 16:9 one when it's stretched? Sorry to make such a big issue out of it but I want to be able to play games with the best possible image quality like I can on a PC with a TFT.

7. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I play 720p games (MX Unleashed and Freedom Fighters) on my XBOX connected to a new JVC LT26DS6. The panel is a 1366x768 and the games look awesome, absolutely jaw dropping. There is no problem stretching the image to fit the screen (scaling up) and the images look incredibly crisp (probably due to JVC's excellent DIST system). Also the panel's 7ms response time mean that I have (despite playing for several hours in both 720p and 480p) seen absolutely no ghosting issues. At all. I have also played some very dark games on it such as Doom 3 and Thief: Deadly Shadows and it handles this type of footage with aplomb.

Obviously a lot of xbox games dont support 16:9 natively and so to maintain that crisp image you have to play them in 4:3. You can play them in widescreen but to be honest stretched out huds **** me off and the images dont look so nice when stretched. I have only played one 480i game (Metal Slug 3) and although it doesnt look anywhere near as nice as 480p its still perfectly acceptable.

Id like to tell you more but im very busy at the mo, hopefully I should have time to put a full gamers oriented review of this set on the forums later this week. :D

8. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thankyou Lechuck! :smashin:

9. stealth chicken

stealth chicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does this JVC screen handle fast response games well? coz ive tried 3 hdtv lcds now with 16ms and 8ms and theyve all been too slow for fast xbox games! the two in my sig and the samsung now.

10. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Samsung TV's look great, whats wrong with black nowadays?

11. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The jvc is without a doubt the fastest screen around, though maybe there are some new screens that have the same respons time. Like said before, i have not, ever, seen a single trace of ghosting. Only on the worst of the worst signals it might happen, but even then it's almost unnoticable, cause the jvc gives such an incredible pinsharp rockstable image...

12. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted same thing recently and was recomended Samsung 27R41B,Samsung LE26R41B new models, I've found one at £605 est oct for availability.

I like the look of the Samsungs with the silver bottom and black screen.

IMO why dont you get this and then spend £470 on a epson Home Cinema projector from ebuyer and use that for the big events, movies etc and the LCD for other stuff, thats what I'm going to be doing.

Also have a chipped xbox currently, and will be getting a 360. Was going to get a samsung 950 DVD player to complement this, just waiting to sell my old one on ebay currently (see kenwood 5 disc changer!). :)