Can anyone recommend a toshiba vcr?

D

DPLeeds

I've just bought a new tv - toshiba 32zp48 but my old sony vcr does not give good picture quality on it.

Can anyone recommend a toshiba vcr with good picture quality to go with my tv? I tape a lot from ntl digital cable.

A couple of years back the VCRs of choice were Panasonic or JVC. Panasonic have now dropped out of the list leaving just JVC. I would therefore recommend you have a look at the range of VCRs from JVC. Their SVHS VCRs are very good in comparison to other makes and are available from under £100. Although AFAIK NTL cable boxes wont output S-Video signal I still think you will get better PQ from an SVHS VCR if that is important to you.

Mark.

Not very old toshiba VCR, tapes ok but a lot of shimering on playback. BUT pre recorded tapes done on other machines much worse, and shop bought also a lot of shimmer/ unstable, tracking working you can see it moving about but still not right, best way to explain it UNSTABLE PICTURE JUDDER, never had this on previous vcr , is it the make toshiba not so good on vcrs or could it be the scarts ?, last year i bought some new ones , cant remember if they where fully wired (or RGB is it) ?to be honest dont understand the difference of rgb or fully wired , could i possibly be using RGB scart when i should be using a fully wired? is that causing all this unstable juddery platback problem ?, only thing is its a lot worse on tapes that ive had for years , if this is faulty can someone point me to a vcr that plays any thing on tape even old ones i have well, with clean stable pics many thans for any advice.

Well with the very small amount of VCRs that are now sold many companies don't actually make them. Instead they buy them in and rebadge them. I know that Sony are one such company and Tosh could be also.

The shimmering problems you describe are common with old tapes and can often be cured by a VCR with a TBC (Time Base Correction). A TBC can be found on many (but obviously not the cheapest) JVC SVHS VCRs.

RGB scarts are wired for an RGB picture and do not carry any audio to the TV. No analogue VCR will output RGB so its not worth getting RGB scarts for a VCR.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom