Can anyone recommend a digital freeview booster?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Jack D-R, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Jack D-R

Jack D-R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

Just recieved my new Panny TX-32LXD600 and the signal is rather poor. Just wondered if someone could recommend a booster thingy that the ariel plugs into?

Cheers, from Jack.

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    A quick search found this 14dB amp has a very good noise figure of just 2.5dB's which is required for maximum benefit from a booster.

I use a Telecam TCE1001 which produces 4dB of noise for the same gain. Seems to do the job well enough most of the time. Cheaper price but less performance.

3. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi, I am also looking for a signal booster - I have only a few channels showing on my freeview on the portable tv, and am unable to get channels 1 - 4 through box - will a booster really make a difference or is it a case of 'if your reception is poor then freeview is unsuitable' ? Thanks :)

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    The one that I use has adjustable gain and a noise figure of just 1.4db which (since it's a logarithmic scale) is waaay better than most others.

See http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11c.htm#variable
    and http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/amps.htm#masthead

But before splashing out on a booster, you should make sure that your aerial is the correct type for your local transmitter* and your cable (and wall plate connector) are fully-shielded.

*Not necessarily a "wideband" type. It depends on where you are.

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Sometimes in the case of missing channels it could be that a change of freeview box is required to something that has a more sensitive front end (tuner). Some boxes particularly if they are some years old are notorisly insenitive. This is ok if you have and live in a good signal area but for further out in the sticks reception they can be troublesome. Buying a booster for one of these is probably a waste of time.

OTOH if your using the standard aerial supplied with the TV then get it connected to a proper roof top aerial or at least something fitted in the loft.