Can anyone recommend a digital camera (8-10mp) costing around £60-£100?

Monty_P

Standard Member
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anybody knew of any good deals on at the moment regarding what I am looking for? It is the missus' birthday at the end of the month and want to get her a camera without breaking the bank. As long as the pictures are good quality, has a good but not overpowering flash, and a nice big screen on the back so she can see what she is doing then I'm sure she will be happy!

I have seen the Samsung s830 (8mp) on Curry's for £80, is this any good?

Sorry but I am a complete novice when it comes to digital cameras!

Many thanks.

GarryF

First thing to do is stop taliking about cameras and how good they are by the amount of MP's

generally a cheap camera with lots of MPs will be cutting corners somewhere else like the lense etc.

Have a look at Fuji in that price range?

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've just bought a Fuji F20 from Tesco (look for DVD cases with the camera on in store as they don't seem to have the actual camera out on the shelf) for £67 which is an absolute bargain. It's 6.3Mp with a 3x optical zoom and, by most reviews, is one of the best low-light performing point and shoot cameras around :thumbsup: It has a built in "Anti-Shake" function which basically ups the ISO to a maximum of 2000 which in turn decreases the shutter speed thereby preventing shake/blurring. The sensor seems to be really good which leads to little noise at high ISO.

I've bought this one so my wife can take it with her and our 9 month old son so that she doesn't miss any good shots where she wouldn't want to take my 400D. We only got it last night but on first impressions it's excellent.

With regards to Samsung cameras, I'm sure there are probably some good ones but I looked at a few of them in this price range last year and was pretty underwhelmed by their performance (but that's just my opinion!)

Cheers
Steve

Monty_P

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just bought a Fuji F20 from Tesco (look for DVD cases with the camera on in store as they don't seem to have the actual camera out on the shelf) for £67 which is an absolute bargain. It's 6.3Mp with a 3x optical zoom and, by most reviews, is one of the best low-light performing point and shoot cameras around :thumbsup: It has a built in "Anti-Shake" function which basically ups the ISO to a maximum of 2000 which in turn decreases the shutter speed thereby preventing shake/blurring. The sensor seems to be really good which leads to little noise at high ISO.

I've bought this one so my wife can take it with her and our 9 month old son so that she doesn't miss any good shots where she wouldn't want to take my 400D. We only got it last night but on first impressions it's excellent.

With regards to Samsung cameras, I'm sure there are probably some good ones but I looked at a few of them in this price range last year and was pretty underwhelmed by their performance (but that's just my opinion!)

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for the info, i'll pop into Tesco today and have a gander!

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info, i'll pop into Tesco today and have a gander!
Good Idea
What you will find here is that youll be encouraged to get the best camera for your budget, regardless of no of Pixels
While it is true these cameras have definitely come down in price. it is unlikely that a compact at less than a £100 with 8Mp will deliver: that is a marketing con

With regard to Samsung Cameras. I have truly not seen an impressive compact or low cost camcorder from Samsung. Thier LCD screens/ PC monitors are eclectic and thier ( much costlier) DSLRs are very well made but thise doesnt seen to creep downwards to the lower end jobbies.
Saying that all brands have occasional QC "issues", as such it may be better to buy a specific model of any brand by word of mouth or trusted reviews rather than marketing speal:)

Monty_P

Standard Member
Okay guys, I went into Tesco today and saw a couple of Fuji's and I need some help deciding which one to get. Unfortunately the F20 is sold out now, but they had an A800 and A920 in stock and both were priced at £90!

The A920 looks as if it is on sale but have no idea which one to get. Will be making the trip down tomorrow to pick one up so I'm relying on you guys!

Cheers.

Monty_P

Standard Member
Thanks for that recommendation but I didn't really want to go over £100.

Think i'll plump for the A920, hopefully they still have it in stock!

DJ Dave

Did you pull the trigger Monty?

I am in the same boat - I need to get a camera for my ageing parents. Nothing too fancy just something between £65 and £90 for taking pictures to put on Ebay and some semi decent snaps for general use.

I am looking at the Fuji's too but can't seem to find one for £75.

The Fuji F20 would of been ideal but it's been discontinued. :(

Top Bottom