Can anyone recommend a decent, easy to use system or separates?

J

Jim_G

Hi,

I've done some searching in the fora, but no luck so far so I'm afraid I will ask the question:

I'm looking for a decent setup to replace my current system, comprising an ancient Kenwood AV receiver, Kenwood CD carousel and Yamada DVD player. Ideally I'd like a one-box solution that can:

• Play CDs
  • Play DVDs
  • Receive FM radio
  • Receive DAB radio (or Freeview)
  • Record to HDD
  • Use my existing speakers (B&W DM610s)

It doesn't have to be audiophile quality; I paid about £200 each for the Kenwood amp and CD player over ten years ago (I said they were ancient ;-) and the quality is good enough for my ears.

Does such a beast exist? Is it any good? I can't really use more than two speakers at the moment (I have JBL centre and rears, but nowhere to put them) so I'd rather not end up with another six or eight speakers just because they're part of a package.

I wouldn't mind going to two boxes, as long as the amplifier switches automatically to the active input, for example if the radio is on but I start a CD, the amp will change its input to the CD player.

It also has to be easy to use. I'm not stereotyping anyone, but my wife gets annoyed that the existing setup has too many remote controls (and I won't even mention the TV and cable box....)

I would say that all suggestions would be appreciated, but I'm already up to my eyeballs in reviews of bits of kit ;-)

What I'd like to do is go into my local stereo shop and pick someone's brain for an hour or two, but I'm not going to have the time to do that for at least another two weeks so I thought I'd try to pick the brains of people here.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Could do it all with two boxes, I guess:

1: A regular stereo receiver (i.e. amp+radio)
2: A HDD-DVD machine with Freeview - such as any of these Pioneers
DVR-440HX-S
DVR-540HX-S
DVR-545HX-S.
I'd probably pick the middle one.

J

Jim_G

The £6.40 question (who said I was cheap?!) is: if I put a CD into my DVR-540HX-S and press "Play", will the amp switch to using that as its input?

Thanks!

Jim

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Somehow, I doubt they make amplifier/receivers which autoswitch sources. BUT.....if it's a remote-controlled device, you CAN get programmable macro remotes so that you can (for example) select "Play a CD" and the remote sends commands to turn on the DVD player, amplifier, select appropriate input....you get the idea. Cost more than £6-40 though.

J

Jim_G

So much for progress - my 10+ year old Kenwood separates can do this, albeit with a proprietary communication link. If TVs can switch between SCART sources, why can't amps switch between digital inputs?

[Update]

Aha! From the manual for the Pioneer VSX-2016AV amplifier:

Many Pioneer components have SR CONTROL jacks
which can be used to link components together so that
you can use just the remote sensor of one component.
When you use a remote control, the control signal is
passed along the chain to the appropriate component.​

[End update]

This sounds very much like my Kenwood kit. There may be Pioneer gear in my near future!

Thanks for the information!

Jim

Top Bottom