• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can anyone recommend a 5.1 speaker system for the ps3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickrick

Standard Member
Hi

I am after a reasonably-priced 5.1 system to connect straight to my ps3 which is connected to my HDTV through it's solitary hdmi slot. I seem to think that the JVC TH-L1 would be sufficient?

Being technically challenged, would I need any additional kit to connect it all up?

Thanks in advance.

russd1978

This comes up every few days on here, if you search youll find loads of info ;)

With any system youll probably need an Optical cable or TOS cable as theyre also known. I personally went for the Logitech Z5400s from ebuyer as theyre only £139.99 and come with 2xOptical inputs and 1xCoax.

M.C.F.C

Depends what you are really looking for mate , do you want an all in one system or seperate amp and speakers. I have just bought the Onkyo 505 amp £249 and a set of Yamaha speakers NSP110 £69 , speakers from Empiredirect.co.uk , connected to the amp i have my PS3 and Sky HD via HDMI and optical leads which you can pick up for around £10 each. Can definetly recommend this amp for the price it is excellent. Hope this helps.

gforce85

anyone here have there ps3 connected to a samsung x30r or a x35r in 5.1, does it sound great and connect easily enough.

just wondering if there are any comments about this as im so close to takeing the plunge on one or the other.

pavr27

Hi

I am after a reasonably-priced 5.1 system to connect straight to my ps3 which is connected to my HDTV through it's solitary hdmi slot. I seem to think that the JVC TH-L1 would be sufficient?

Being technically challenged, would I need any additional kit to connect it all up?

Thanks in advance.

Depends how much you want to spend ans what else you want to play through your speakers...my Cambridge Audio / AE AEGO T combination sounds excellent on the PS3 (and TV, and DVD).

kbj242

I won't point you in the direction of a particular system - suffice to say, I think the PS3 sounds absolutely stunning in 5.1...the games make so much use of the surround speakers. Crystal clear and loads of bass punch. Far better than the vast majority of DVD's or normal telly (Sky etc).
I'd go so far as to say that some PS3 games (Motorstorm, Uncharted etc) provide a better demo for a 5.1 system than anything else - so if you find dealer who's got a PS3 laying around - get him to hook the system up for you.
Superb.

russd1978

I won't point you in the direction of a particular system - suffice to say, I think the PS3 sounds absolutely stunning in 5.1...the games make so much use of the surround speakers. Crystal clear and loads of bass punch. Far better than the vast majority of DVD's or normal telly (Sky etc).
I'd go so far as to say that some PS3 games (Motorstorm, Uncharted etc) provide a better demo for a 5.1 system than anything else - so if you find dealer who's got a PS3 laying around - get him to hook the system up for you.
Superb.

To give the OP an example - I was playing Warhawk the other day and it honestly felt like a plane was flying from behind me above my head and over me - it gives you a much more realistic sense of where you are and where others are situated. Very immersive!

Moogle

Distinguished Member
This question has been discussed and answered several times before and doing a search for "surround sound" will bring up several threads. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom