Can anyone reccomend a decent budget android phone?

ron swanson

Hi.

I'm looking for some reccomendation, I want to get a new android phone as my s3 mini is quite battered and bruised and I'm convinced sooner or later it's going to give up on me!

I ordered a Motorola Moto G and put the sim card in etc and after an afternoon of nearly no service I have no desire to keep the phone and will be returning it. Out of the box it is by far the worst experience I've had with any device ever. I get no signal where the S3 mini gives me plenty of signal, I'm guessing it's an antenna issue as it's the same with various sim cards.

I'm looking for a phone around the £150 tops with preferably no bigger than a 5 inch screen.

sep8001

I went from a s3 to Moto G 2nd gen and not had any issues. Is the Moto G locked which may be the reason you get no service?

ron swanson

No it's an unlocked phone. The device appears to be faulty.

I get no signal where I get full signal on my other phone.

I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to get it to do anything, it appears to have crashed and won't come back to life. I've just done a remote wipe and boxed it back up.

Must have got a dud.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
No it's an unlocked phone. The device appears to be faulty.

I get no signal where I get full signal on my other phone.

I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to get it to do anything, it appears to have crashed and won't come back to life. I've just done a remote wipe and boxed it back up.

Must have got a dud.
Did you cut down your SIM DIY style? Perhaps it got damaged?

Moto G was a big seller and spawned 2 further models so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

ron swanson

Did you cut down your SIM DIY style? Perhaps it got damaged?

Moto G was a big seller and spawned 2 further models so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

No it was a snap out one, put in another phone it works fine.

I'm returing the Moto G to Amazon and looking for a different phone instead.

depot

What bad luck with the Moto G, i had the first gen Moto G and i would say its at least as good and in someways better than my current Samsung S5,

ron swanson

QUOTE="depot, post: 22967515, member: 100795"]What bad luck with the Moto G, i had the first gen Moto G and i would say its at least as good and in someways better than my current Samsung S5,[/QUOTE]

I'm really disappointed to be honest. The alarm bells started ringing when I couldn't get a signal outside. Various sim/phone combinations all point to the antenna in the moto g being the culprit.

I wanted to do a reset to give the phone another chance but it just went weird and refused to do anything.

The initial experience of this phone being so poor combined with amazon not offering a replacement to try out has made me decide to get a refund.

I'm back using the s3 mini and I'll most likely look for another Samsung.

depot

Might be a bit bigger than you want but at its price point you can't beat the Vodafone smart ultra 6, it can be unlocked for a few £ via ebay and you soon get used to the size.

I was going to suggest the Vodafone smart ultra 6 as well, but it's a much bigger phone than a S3 Mini, would Amazon give a replacement Moto G, because it is a great phone, i can't think of a better phone for £150

Joerunningback

Novice Member
Nexus 5 or the aforementioned Moto's are probably your best bet. If you search eBay, wholesalers often have slightly older models at huge discounts.

ron swanson

I was going to suggest the Vodafone smart ultra 6 as well, but it's a much bigger phone than a S3 Mini, would Amazon give a replacement Moto G, because it is a great phone, i can't think of a better phone for £150

No they offered me a repair or refund option only. Wasn't keen on repairing it, I did like the bare bones android system I have to say.

I'll see what's about in the post xmas sales before I buy at the moment I think.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'll take a look.

ianeb

No they offered me a repair or refund option only. Wasn't keen on repairing it, I did like the bare bones android system I have to say.

I'll see what's about in the post xmas sales before I buy at the moment I think.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'll take a look.
I think you're dismissing the Moto g too quickly. Amazon have never been anything but accommodating to me over the years, whilst they don't offer direct replacements you can easily replace the phone. Setup a return in your account and use collect+ to return it for free, when I use this method I usually have the money back within a day or so and before they even receive it. Then you can order a replacement. To be fair, Amazon aren't the only company not to offer a replacement online, you generally have to send the item back, get a refund then order again OR just order again if you can (order this morning for delivery tomorrow) and then return the faulty one. Animal, Hollister and Tesco Direct also adopt this return method so it's not unusual. Not even apple will just send you a replacement anymore, they put a holding charge on your bank card for the price of the device then send you a new one, the charge is listed when they receive and inspect the faulty device. There's always a concern they might charge you if they think the phone isn't faulty so it's not ideal.

I would give the Moto g another chance as its a fantastic phone, I got my daughter one and it's been brilliant, she loves it and it's due an upgrade to Android Marshmallow very soon.

ron swanson

I think you're dismissing the Moto g too quickly. Amazon have never been anything but accommodating to me over the years, whilst they don't offer direct replacements you can easily replace the phone. Setup a return in your account and use collect+ to return it for free, when I use this method I usually have the money back within a day or so and before they even receive it. Then you can order a replacement. To be fair, Amazon aren't the only company not to offer a replacement online, you generally have to send the item back, get a refund then order again OR just order again if you can (order this morning for delivery tomorrow) and then return the faulty one. Animal, Hollister and Tesco Direct also adopt this return method so it's not unusual. Not even apple will just send you a replacement anymore, they put a holding charge on your bank card for the price of the device then send you a new one, the charge is listed when they receive and inspect the faulty device. There's always a concern they might charge you if they think the phone isn't faulty so it's not ideal.

I would give the Moto g another chance as its a fantastic phone, I got my daughter one and it's been brilliant, she loves it and it's due an upgrade to Android Marshmallow very soon.

I've returned the phone for a refund, the only options on the return were for a repair or a refund. That was my first experience of a Motorola product and I'm afraid it wasn't great.

Before I returned it I had a look online and there appears to be issues with the antenna being weak. Because of where I live this makes it far from ideal. Just for clarity it was a second gen model. Not sure if the newer versions were are any better.

If the phone hadn't of packed up on me completely I would have given it a go over the weekend to try and give it the benefit of the doubt.

ianeb

I got my daughter the 3rd gen and can't fault it, excellent phone with no signal issues

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Hi, this really proves the classic old saying that "No one gets a second chance to create a first impression". I, like everyone else posting here, have nothing but praise for the Motorola G, as I bought the original version for my wife soon after it came out and she loves it, never having had the slightest problem with it. Your experience, however, is quite different unfortunately and it's understandable that you would rather not purchase another Motorola - I reckon most people would have the same reaction, and I include myself.

That said, perhaps the new one has a poorer aerial system, hence your problem as you suspect. I would suggest your best answer would be to go to a phone shop near to where you live and hopefully be able to try some out to find one that best suits your needs, rather than buying online and perhaps getting the same problem again.

Whatever, best of luck.

Martin.

KayCS

One thing I would say about the Moto G and E are there radio workings are first class and will catch a signal were others fail, except when in Airplane Mode that is.:thumbsup:

Between myself and the OH we’ve had 2 x Moto G + 1 x Moto G 4G and 1 x Moto E 4G and they all out perform my kids iPhones 4, 5 and 6’s in radio terms, GSM and Wifi.

As Amazon only offered a repair or refund could it may be a second-hand phone.:nono:

ron swanson

One thing I would say about the Moto G and E are there radio workings are first class and will catch a signal were others fail, except when in Airplane Mode that is.:thumbsup:

Between myself and the OH we’ve had 2 x Moto G + 1 x Moto G 4G and 1 x Moto E 4G and they all out perform my kids iPhones 4, 5 and 6’s in radio terms, GSM and Wifi.

As Amazon only offered a repair or refund could it may be a second-hand phone.:nono:

It's possible but it was bought as brand new and all the stickers and films were on the screen and box to suggest brand new.

It's honestly the first time an antenna has appeared to be too weak to get a signal outside where I live. But the fact it crashed and wouldn't do anything suggested that it might have been somthing a bit more critical than an antenna being faulty. Looking on google there seemed to be a lot of people with signal issues with the 2nd gen model though. The 3rd gen seems fine though.

I'm going to have a look at whats on sale after xmas. But I'm leaning towards another samsung handset. Possibly an S4 Mini.

daydotz

Ive praise for Motorola E 2nd gen it manages to find wifi networks where a iPhone 4S 5 5S & 6S seem to fail [emoji51]

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone