1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone offer some advice for an inexpensive bedroom set up?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevefa, Jan 15, 2002.

1. stevefa

stevefa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an inexpensive DVD set up for a bedroom (DVD player and surround sound), however, I feel overwhelmed by all the info that is available out there.

I basically want the best inexpensive player (of good quality) that will meet my needs as a non-technical person! I am just worried that buying a cheap system will limit the functions.

I also want surround sound but don't know where to start. I have seen a creative labs playworks set up but am unsure whether this is just for a PC or whether it is suitable. Can any surround sound be connected to the TV, video (and maybe a separate stereo) too or is it just for DVD connection?

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want an idea of what to buy/what is compatible.

Many thanks.
    Steve

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All of the above depends on what budget you have to work with. How much are you looking to spend? There is budget, and there is cheap and nasty. I have a typical 'budget' setup. For the DVD player, surround amp and speakers has so far cost me £900.

The minimum you'd pay to ensure a proper, decent budget setup is about £500 in my opinion. You'd be looking at something like the Toshiba SD110E DVD player coupled with something like the Yamaha HTIB40 AV Amp and 5.1 speaker package.

Any less than £350, and you're getting very close to cheap and nasty territory. Amps can be picked up at places like Richer Sounds (know what you want before you go and NEVER ask their advice) for about £200, and decent DVD players for £150. Remember this is without speakers.

I cannot emphasise enough how much I do not recommend those ridiculous Dixonsesque 'All-In-One' so-called 'solutions'.

Take a look around, read up a bit, check out a few prices and see what catches your eye and ear.

Also check out this indespensable guide to HC for total beginners:

http://www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk/homepage.htm

3. stevefa

stevefa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Pointon.

I was looking to spend about £500 so your advice is much appreciated. I will take a look around and think carefully about the things you have mentioned.

Steve

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    Sony DAVS500 has received good reviews and is probably the solution to a bedroom setup unless you want to upgrade later. Yamaha's HTIB40 package will give you a good Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound receiver and speakers for under £400 and just add a DVD player. I recommend the HTIB40 which I have in my front room for now with the prospect of upgrading the speakers at a later date. hispek.com supplied mine next working day for £379.
    Regards

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but I can't let a mention of a so-called 'All-In-One' solution such as the Sony DAVS500 get a mention, without saying what a load of rubbish these systems are.

If you are serious about Home Cinema, and don't want to rely on the type of crap recommended by some ignorant person who works for Dixons, then forget any type of system like the Sony.

Seperates are the only way to go. The Yamaha HTiB-40 kit is different because it is a seperate, but supplied with speakers. As Mitch says, it allows for upgrading later on. Reading my last posting, I recommended the HTib-20... mistake should have been the HTib-40. Will edit that now.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Be careful of the advice you get in here it is a real highend market place,
    I am looking for a similar setup with a similar budget, don't be pushed into spending more than you want to, take a look at www.empiredirect.co.uk they are reasonably priced with a good stock. I once thought (like most of the population) that Sony and Technics were good brands but in here they are cheap and nasty. Let me know more about your current Hi-Fi TV situation and I will do my best for you, I have been waiting for a year to buy my set up and can almost afford what I really want, regardless of what the videophiles say.:cool:

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A high street 'budget' system to the ordinary consumer may well mean not paying more than £350 for a full digital surround and DVD setup. But the simple fact is that the hardware discussed in here that might cost a little more would blow any of that stuff away. It's a simple, straight fact and there's no more that can be said to change it.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Indeed it will but a Lotus Elise will blow away a Ford Fiesta and for just a little more. Take it on finance sir you know it makes sense. Pointon you should sell used cars. :devil:

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I could never do that. I have worked for the Citizens Advice Bureau and briefly for Trading Standards (for the three months my local council gave them funding for). I'm the kind of person that prefers and takes massive satisfaction from helping the customer take action against and crucify the sales person that screwed them over in the first place.

I currently - and most certainly temporarily - work for a customer service department of a major telecommunications company. All I do is advise people on how not to get shafted by the company I work for. I am quite frequently being told off for telling customers their rights and how to take action against my employers. I don't care, I'd rather be unemployed than work for these theives and charlatans.

So believe me, I'm not lying or even sugar coating the truth when I make such a statement as I made above.

Home Cinema is like an electric shaver. Cheap always means bad.

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can pick up a very much better budget separates system for the same price as the rather poor Sony DAV500.

No-one in these forums takes pleasure in hitting on the all-in-one solutions. They do have their place. In theory, the only down side should be the lack of an upgrade path or if one part goes wrong, you stand to lose the whole lot.

However, the Sony, like many other all-in-ones, lack so many basic features but the price doesn't reflect it. We are just waiting for an all-in-one to offer decent quality and value for money.

To be very blunt, the all-in-ones are over priced, under featured and low powered.

The magazines review the all-in-ones comparing them to other all-in-ones. They do not compare them to separates.