Can anyone *make* half decent oven chips?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've usually got a bag of McCain's oven chips in my freezer for that odd occasion when I fancy some 'chips' and I don't want to go to the chippie (I don't have a chip pan or deep fat fryer and I don't like the Microwave ones). Recently I've gone off McCain's a bit though :( and I wondered if it's possible to make your own (and that are reasonably good).

Scouring t'internet, it seems like blanching, covering with oil, seasoning and then oven baking seems to be a popular method of approximating chips.

Does anyone have a good methodology for producing something that vaguely resembles deep fried chips?

Thanks.

:)

I make oven baked 'wedges' from time to time (great with sweet chilli dipping sauce) but they ain't chips.

oven chips in an actifry come out really well actually, regular potatoes come out even better though! :D

Iccz said:
Chunky oven chips recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Found that when I ran out of frozen, it's hard to go back to the frozen ones after doing them properly.

I found a similar one that consists of cutting the unpeeled potatoes in 1-2cm square chips, putting them in a big bowl of cold water. Preheat a tray with some oil in a 220deg oven. Pat dry the chips and put on the tray, coating with the hot oil and put in the oven for 35-40 minutes.

My husband who hated oven chips loves them.

Mine looked nothing like the picture :laugh:

I enjoyed them and my cookery skills aren't that great :blush:

Scouring t'internet, it seems like blanching, covering with oil, seasoning and then oven baking seems to be a popular method of approximating chips.

We do this often, either diced or slices and they are very nice. Not like deep-fried chips though, more like a cross between chips and roast potatoes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Don't even ask me what kind of potato I used...

It was a potato :D
A muddy one.

Don't you know anything about potatoes? There are two different types; big or small

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I found a similar one that consists of cutting the unpeeled potatoes in 1-2cm square chips, putting them in a big bowl of cold water. Preheat a tray with some oil in a 220deg oven. Pat dry the chips and put on the tray, coating with the hot oil and put in the oven for 35-40 minutes.

My husband who hated oven chips loves them.

Similar to what we do for wedges:

Wack oven on to hotest temp, add a baking tray with enough oil to cover base
Maris Pipers - cut into 4s, along the length
Rinse in bowl of water
Drain
Coat in olive oil, salt, pepper, spices

Take the tray out of the oven, add the wedges (hot oil, be careful). Put them back in, and just give it bout 30mins turning them... come out fine.

No real timings/temps, just as hot as possible.

Last edited:
Dave wanders off to check what potatoes he has...

Maris Piper... :mad:

:)
I use maris piper or an all purpose white or Rooster.

I always put them in cold water first and just bring them to the boil in a pan. As soon as there are bubbles I strain them and leave them to stand for a couple of minutes while I heat the oil/goose fat/duck fat.

I also add whatever I like to the oil for a flavoured chip. These include; Garlic, rosemary, saffron, smoked paprika, Nando's chip sprinkle, etc. Obviously not all at once. Whatever takes your fancy. Trick is not to add too much oil as they don't go crisp.

I'm not 'allowed' to each chips :(

Damn you Do You Workout And Could You Do With Motivation thread!

I pour olive oil on the chopping board then slice the potatoes in the oil so that you get a good coating. Then I season with S&P and cover in paprika and a sprinkle of chopped chili. I mix with carrots and parsnips so you get a variety, and I tend to prefer using sweet potatoes.

Wack in a pre-heated oven for 40-60 minutes, depending on how I fancy them.

I haven't had deep fat fried chips in about 10 years! I don't even own a fryer!

People of the internet, what are you doing? For the love of god buy a deep fat fryer, and not one of those Tefal nonsense things. I have 2 professional aluminium things because you can't cook Fish & Chips in a single frier, haven't had Oven Chips in about 10 years now :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom